Hot Springs Special - The River's Master

(Name)'s POV

"Man, it's been a long time since I went on a trip to the Hot Springs." Soma said, leaning into the aisle to peek where Megumi sat in front of him. "Thanks a bunch for inviting me along, Tadokoro."

"Yeah. For occasions like these, it's a lot more enjoyable if everyone went." Megumi explained.

"But you know..." Soma began, referencing to the rest of us on the bus. "Is it really okay to bring this many people?"

"Um... the innkeeper gave me the 'okay' so I think we should be fine." The driver confirmed Megumi's words, assuring her that all of her friends were welcome after her terrific performance during her Stagiaire.

I sat near the back of the bus in the single seater, the Yanagawas in the twin seats to my right. After much badgering, I managed to convince Ryou to play the word chain game with me and Kiyoko. The category: food.

"Apple!" Kiyoko started.

Ryou continued, naming a food that starts with the last letter. "Egg."

My turn. "Gazpacho!"

They sent me a funny look, my answer much more specific in comparison to their generic ones, but continued. "Oreo."

Ryou's turn. "Orange."

"Ehhh!" I crossed my arms, making a buzzer sound. "Wrong. Ryou-kun's eliminated."

"What??" Ryou objected.

"You know the rules."

"Oreo ends in 'o'! I said orange!" he explained, scowling when I arched a brow as if to say 'you sure about that?'. "I know how to spell orange."

"Really? Spell it then." I suppressed a smile.

Ryou scoffed. "O - R--"

"The food, not the color."

"Huh? Oh, uh..." Ryou hesitated, scratching his cheek. "Wait a second..!!"

He soon realized when I started to cackle. "Why you--!"

I yelped when he reached over to pull on my cheek, so I retaliated by pinching his nose.

Right before it could escalate into a cat fight, Kiyoko yanked Ryou back into his seat by the ear. I snickered but fell silent under her chilly stare. Scary!

In the row behind us, Kurokiba and Hayama sat on opposite ends as they wondered why they bothered to tag along. The former expected a Shokugeki (no surprise there), but Hayama's awkward response suggested a certain professor had something to do with it. I could picture it clearly: an ecstatic Jun bouncing in place upon hearing Hayama received an invite from a friend!

In front of us, Isami asked/teased Nikumi and Takumi for being excited at Soma's invitation. I leaned forward, addressing the blonde tsunderes, "I can see you dressed your best, too!" I referred to their casual clothes, more fashionable compared to the rest of us. "Who knew you two were so stylish!"

Nikumi offered a shy thank-you, but Takumi cleared his throat and quickly faced forward.

Did I make him uncomfortable? My concerns were alleviated when he spoke, fiddling with his striped tie atop his patterned button-up, "Er, thanks..."

Isami's smile grew, peeking over his shoulder to where I sat. "What's wrong, bro? You were extra excited upon hearing Homura-chan would be there."

"T-that's..!" Takumi protested, the tips of his ears red, but was interrupted by the sound of Isshiki singing about... youth?