Chapter 16- Two Big Losers

(Name)'s POV

Time seemed to freeze for a moment at the brutal realization that two of my closest friends were now expelled.

My first months here at Tōtsuki, I spent it all with them! We've been through thick and thin and now they're... no!

My body froze up as my thoughts ran wild, in the end mostly resorting to the same phrase, No! It can't be! This—it's not fair!

I was only brought back to reality by a haughty laugh that caused a wave of fury to flood my veins.

"My condolences."

The three of us stood silent as Dojima began to explain, "The gap between your and Shinomiya's abilities was obvious. Shinomiya won by a landslide."

Of course, I had known this all along. I knew Megumi was greatly outnumbered from the start, but for some reason I fooled myself into believing that they had a chance at beating him. But it was too late now.

"I'm sorry, Tadokoro." Soma muttered, eyes cast in shadow. "I couldn't help you."

He removed his headband and to my shock and utter surprise, sent her a smile!

How can he smile!? He was just expelled!

"But you can stand up straight and proud. You made a really good dish."

Megumi began to cry and shake at these words, and I myself felt a wave of emotions flood through me once more.

How? How!? How can he just smile like that, after all that's happened!? He's expelled now! They're both—it's not fair! This school isn't fair! They don't deserve to...

The room fell silent as Megumi broke down in front of everyone, head ducked, and tears cascading down her cheeks.

"Megumi.... I'm so sorry, there wasn't anything I could do. I couldn't help you, I couldn't uphold my promise...." I whispered, unsure if she could even hear me.

"Well, no need to be so down about it. It was inevitable." Shinomiya spoke insensitively.

"Tch!"

All restraint I previously held seemed to fly out the window at his statement, and I jerked forward suddenly as if to attack him. I was only held back as Soma shot out and grabbed hold of my elbow.

I glanced back at him lividly, fire burning in my eyes, and shook as he sent me a stern look.

He sternly spoke, "Don't. Don't get yourself expelled too. ...There's nothing you could've done."

I froze, the familiar phrase ringing in my ears.

He's right. There's... nothing I could've done.

I sighed heavily and stood back, hearing a breath of relief also escape Soma's mouth. He released my arm but stood closer, as if to keep watch in case I try anything again.

"Anyway, I have an early start tomorrow, so excuse me. Have a good night."

Shinomiya waved a hand carelessly and began to exit, only to stop when he heard the distinct 'clink' of a coin being placed down.

..What?

Everyone in the room stopped and stared at Dojima, who had just placed a coin of his own on Megumi's plate.

"I believe the outcome has been decided." Shinomiya glanced over his shoulder. "What is the meaning of this?"

"Oh, well. I simply wished to acknowledge this dish and cast my vote." He explained.