•Chapter 13•

I didn't stay in the kitchen like I was told too. I ran outside through the back door heading to my favorite spot near the lake. I was running so fast without watching my step that I twisted my ankle till I heard it pop.

Excruciating pain shot through my leg, holting my steps and bringing me down to my knees. I screamed in agony for a few minutes before my body shut down and I completely passed out.

"...how much ya think she go for?"

I blinked my eyes a few times before I could make out the faces of two unfamiliar white men. A red head stands over my body as a blonde squats to my left side.

"I say 300", the blonde says as he grabs my left breast.

"Don't touch me", I scream as I attempt to get up.

"Ya hands tied so ain't no use tiring ya self out n*gger".

"Hey! What's going on over there?" A voice calls out from behind us.

"We found a run away. She twisted her ankle real bad before she passed out. We gonna take her to the auction-"

"That's my Uncle's slave and your on private property sir".

"No it ain't kid-"

"Pa! These men about ta steal D'lilah!"

I hold my breath as Uncle Joe exchanges very harsh words with the men who refuse to let me go.

"Watcha mean she ain't mine! Why would I lie about that? Her ma gave birth to her on my boat and I sold her to my brotha. Let her go ya bloody idiots!"

"The red head pulls my body up and whips out his gun, "bring da papers then-"

"Git your hands off her!", Daddy's voice roars as he makes his way down here. "Who da f*ck I look like taking orders from a b*tch whose trespassing on my property?"

The man lets go of my arm, "sir you know how it is these days with the underground railroad going on. The northerners are costing us trouble down here so we gotta be careful. Maybe I should call the deputy down here just to-"

"She's my slave now let her go before things turn bloody".

My heart drops at the words that come from my father's mouth. In my heart I knew the truth, but I had kept trying to convince myself that I was free. That my father wasn't that cruel to me, that he actually loves me and wouldn't hold me in bondages.

The rope around my wrist cuts in half and I limp as fast as I can inside the house and up to my room where I lock my door. It's here where I allow myself to fall apart in my bed as Daddy's words keep screaming inside my head. 

I don't remember falling asleep but I wake up to Daphne shaking me awake and offering me a chocolate bar.

"Here".

I take her peace offering and sit up in bed so I can get a better look at my swollen ankle.

"Jonny told me some slave catchers got a hold of ya".

I ignore her and open up the chocolate wrapping.

"...What they do to ya? Ya foot don't look too good".

Subconsciously, my hand comes up to cup my breast as I remember where I was violated. 
"One of them...assaulted me".

Daphne looks down at the hand on my breast and her eyes bug out, "your lying! Goodness gracious! How dare they treat a lady like that-"

"Because I'm not a lady Daphne. I'm a n*gger".

Her mouth drops, "Delilah what on Earth are you on about!"