Chapter 15

'You want to go an a date? With me..?', I muttered.

'Mhm, is there a problem?', he tilted his head and looked at my eyes which were wondering around the room.

'You've got to be kidding me, right? You literally hate going out with people, ever since that little girl rejected you when we were kids.' I slightly snickered under my breath. He seemed to not catch on that I was joking so I had to clarify it to him. 'It was a joke, you really are the same person from a few years ago aren't you.'

'Oh really? And how was I like a few years ago? Because I remember that a few years ago you had a crush on that person.', he remarked. My smile faded from my face. How the hell does he know that?!

'That's not true, must be the other way round because I don't remember that.' I awkwardly pretended I was looking for a different book. He grinned and pulled his hand out of his pocket and lay it gently on my head.

'Maybe.' he then placed his hand back into his pocket. Akari and Yui came to check on me.

'Y/n are you done yet? We've-' Akari stopped when she noticed that Mabuchi-kun was there. 'Oh you're the boy from the train station.', she said as she pointed at him. 'Do you two know each other?' she asked as she looked at me. I turned to look at Mabuchi-kun who seemed as though he didn't like their presence.

'Oh um well he's in my class, so I guess I do.' I didn't tell her too much because what could I say? "This is a childhood friend that I had a huge crush on?" There's no way I would say that, that would be embarrassing because Akari and Yui won't stop talking about it. 'Anyways let's go.' I turned them both around and pushed them out the store, before Yui blurted out something.

'Hey, you're Mabuchi-kun right? I'm in your class! You got stuck in the equipment room with Y/n. You guys seem pretty close since Y/n was laying on your ch-' I immediately slapped my hand against her mouth and pulled her out of the store, leaving Mabuchi-kun standing there with a small grin.

Once we made it far enough from the store, I released Yui from my grip. 'What was that for? I didn't get to finish what I was saying.', she said as she adjusted her sleeve.

That was the point.

'Well..', I scanned the mall to make up an excuse. 'Ah, you guys said you wanted to leave so I didn't want to keep you waiting.'

'Alright! Let's go to the clothing shops!' Akari announced as she began to walk off, with me and Yui following behind.

Out of all the activities we could've done, why did I pick shopping, I only came her for the manga store but now I can't even go there because Mabuchi-kun there and took the book that I wanted. Come to think of it, I didn't give him a reply for the date. Oh well, it was probably a joke.

Yui and I caught up with Akari and started to enter some shops.

About two hours later, We all stood outside with a couple of bags. In the end, I seemed to enjoy the day and I also bought some new clothes. 'It was fun hanging out today guys, let's do it again sometime.' I smiled towards Akari and Yui.

'Of course, maybe next time we can go ice skating and watch a movie!' Yui yelled.

'Yeah, that would be fun.' Akari replied.

The sun was setting, which left a beautiful orange and yellow sky. Yui potted a nice tree where we could take a picture to end the day off. 'Hey guys let's take a picture over there.' she pointed towards the tree.

'I look like a hot mess, so i'd rather not.' I remarked.

'You look fine, now let's go!' Yui pulled Akari and I towards the tree. 'Ok! One, two, three, smile!' We all smiled at the camera. Akari and Yui looked great with their sweet smiles, but I didn't show any teeth because I hate my smile so much. 'Great I'll send it to both of you!', Yui grinned.

'Hey guys, I forgot my mom asked me to get something from the store, so you guys can go on ahead!' I lied, I was going back to the manga store to see if Mabuchi-kun left the book.

'Are you sure? We can wait for you.' Akari said, Yui nodded her head in agreement

'Yes i'm sure, it'll probably take a while so you guys can go.' I smiled.

'Ok! See you on Monday Y/n', Yui and Akari both ran down the street waving , causing me to wave back. I waited until they turned the corner before I ran to the store.

Once I arrived, I checked to see if the book was there. Wait, he left it here! Yes!! I did a little happy dance, but as I turned, I saw Mabuchi-kun videoing me. No. Way. 'I swear to god, if you don't delete that right now..' I slowly walked closer to him.

'Nah, I think i'll keep it.' he teased as he walked out the store, carelessly.

'No! Wait!', I looked at the book the back at him, then back at the book before deciding I would leave the book. I ran after him all the way until the exit of the centre. I was out of breath when he stopped walking. 'Delete. it.' I put my hand on my knees and tried to catch my breath. Damn i'm out of shape, the exit isn't even that far away.

'If you say please, i'll consider it.', he smirked like an idiot.

I really want that video deleted. 'Please.'

'Sorry, I didn't hear you..', he mocked.

'PLEASE', I yelled loud enough for the whole centre to hear me.

'Hm, actually, i'd rather keep it.' He placed his phone back in his pocket.

'I swear if you show anyone and I mean anyone that video, I will run you over.', I pointed my finger at his face.

'Why would I show anyone?', he replied.

I sighed in exhaustion and walked on ahead, the sky had already turned dark. Well that was quick. I turned on my phone to see the photo Yui sent to the group chat. I smiled at my phone screen like an idiot before I heard a snicker .

'Pft. You look so awkward in that photo.' I quickly turned around to see Mabuchi-kun following behind me.

'Shut up. Why are you following me?', I asked as I put my phone away.

'I'm walking you home.', he said as he put his hands in his jacket pocket.

'Why? Is it because you don't think I can protect myself?', I jokingly responded.

'No. I just want to walk with you.', he looked up to the sky and admired the moon. We went silent for a few minutes before he spoke again, 'I remember when you use to smile at me whenever you would come over and talk to me and make me feel better, whenever our parents argued. I distinctly remember the first time you smiled at me, we were about 8 and we overheard our parents arguing in the other room. It was an angelic, beautiful smile that i've ever seen. And I want to see you smile like that again because that was the day I fell in love with you.' He turned to look at me who looked absolutely speechless. I felt my heart racing and my face heating up, I tried to stay calm.

'But that's all in the past, right?'

Immediately, my heart sunk. It felt as though i've been punched over and over again in the stomach. I don't know why I felt this way , because we were just little kids but the feeling that he doesn't feel the same way anymore hurts. A lot.

I looked down at the floor and muttered,
'Right.'

The rest of the walk home was silent. We arrived at my house and we said our goodbyes. 'Thank you for walking me home.' I forced a little smile.

'No problem. Also, don't worry about the date, this walk was enough. Goodnight.', he softly voiced.

And just like that. My first love ended.