Chapter 16

The weekend ended in a flash and it was already Monday again. I felt exhausted and unmotivated to go to school. We've only been in school for a few weeks and it already feels as though we've been there for months. I lay down for a couple more minutes before falling out of my bed. Once I got ready, I had breakfast, said my goodbyes to my mom and made my way to school.

I plugged my earphones in and played my music, just to make sure no one interacted with me. I quietly hummed to the music, before a hand reached out for one of my earphones. 'Woah, hold on.' I turned to see Takashi plugging the earphone in his ear. His hair was all messy and his top buttons were undone, it looked like he just got attacked by a stray cat. 'Give my earphone back.'

He ignored me and went on to speak. 'Oh, you're listening to the song I recommend you, it's great right?', he bopped his head to the music.

'It's alright, now give it back.', I put my hand out signaling for him to give it to me. He took out the ear piece and placed it in my hand.

'You seem upset, did something happen over the weekend?', he asked, concerned.

I instantly remembered what Mabuchi-kun said to me on Saturday. Is this why I feel angry?  I replied to Takashi with a simple, "I'm fine."before walking slightly ahead. He didn't speak to me for the rest of the journey to school, but he did return a small smile every time I looked back to see him. I figured I should apologize to him.

'Look, I'm sorry, I'm not feeling great right now but I shouldn't have acted like that, so please forgive me.' I stopped walking before we entered the school gates and turned to look at him.

'Hm, i'm not sure if I should forgive you, you don't seem genuine..', he playfully rubbed his chin and grinned.

'Fine, I take that all back.' I walked away, acting as if I was upset, causing him to run after me, apologizing  profusely.

We made our way to the classroom door, laughing at each other's jokes. A large figure towered over us, standing there waiting for us to move from the doorway. I turned to see Mabuchi-kun standing there staring at me, ignoring Takashi's existence.

He didn't say anything, he just barged in between us and made his way to his seat. What is wrong with him, one minute he says embarrassing things that makes my stomach feel weird then the next he's all moody and unapproachable.

'Do you know him?', Takashi questioned, whilst we made our way to our seats.

I looked at Mabuchi who was lay his head on the palm of his hand, looking out the window. 'No, not really..' I sat in my seat and waited for the lesson to finish.

—————

The day went by quicker than I expected, and it was already the end of the day. Yui and I agreed to meet each other in the music room because she was practicing today and I wanted to hear her play. On my way there, I bumped into Haruki. 'Oh, hello Haruki.'

'Hey, Y/n how have you been, I haven't-' I cut him off before he continued.

'Do you like Akari?' I stared into his eyes.

'What? Of course I do?', he looked at me with a confused face.

'Ok.. Do you love her?' I eagerly asked.

'Yes, I do love her, why are you asking me these questions?', he blushed a bit and backed up.

'I swear, if you hurt her in any way shape or form, I'll   throw you off a building, ok?', I pointed my finger at his face.

'I promise I won't. I'll cherish and love her with all my heart.'

'Ok then! You don't have to worry about getting pushed off a building then!' I smiled. 'Oh and Akari is waiting for you at the front gate.', I turned around and said before leaving. I could hear the hurried footsteps of him running off to see Akari which made me smile in happiness for them.

I turned the corner to the music room and heard a sweet, calm tune of what sounded like a violin. I followed the sound of the music, which lead me to an open door. A tall figure stood at the centre of the room with their eyes closed, gently playing the violin. I couldn't clearly see the figure because of the lack of light, but they looked peaceful like they didn't have a care in the world. They finished their play but still stood their, eyes closed. I quietly walked closer to get a better look and my eyes widened in shock.

'Mabuchi-kun?', I muttered. The figure instantly opened their eyes and looked into my eyes, he looked worried for a moment, but they smiled a little.

'Following me, are you?', he lowered his violin and went to drink some water. I looked as he slightly tilted his head and drank.

'Pft, you wish. I'm waiting for Yui' ,I went to sit down on a chair that was closest to me. 'Anyways, I didn't know you still play the violin.'

'I don't, I only play it to calm myself down.', he took a seat opposite me.

'What are you mad about?', I asked. He looked at me for what felt like minutes. 'Are you just going to stare at me or are you going to answer?'

'I'd rather stare at you.' he mumbled, still looking at my eyes which avoid contact with his.

I let go of the laugh that I tried to contain, 'Why would you do that?' I desperately turned around to see if Yui was coming.

'Because you're beautiful.' my eyes widened to his words, causing me to slowly turned my head around.

My heart rate increased and my breathing became intense because we were now inches away from each other's faces. My eyes lingered around his eyes, slowly leading to his lips.

'Do you like him?', he whispered. I was confused who's "him?"

'What are you talking about?', I questioned.

'Takashi. Do you like him?'

I smirked because it seemed to me that Mabuchi was jealous. 'Why, Are you still in love with me?' I looked into his eyes which looked serious.

He backed up and looked away. 'Forget about it. Be with who you want to be with, it's none of my business.' He grabbed his stuff and left the room.

I covered my face with my hands, 'That idiot, who does he think he is making my heart race like this?'
I sat down quietly for a minute.

I definitely still like him.