Father

A few days later, in Lily's classroom. Suddenly in the middle of a lesson, there's a knock on the door. The teacher turns to look at the door surprised, but doesn't have time to reach the door, before it is opened outside with a key, and then pushed open. The Principal himself is standing behind the door in the hallway. He clears his throat and addresses the class.

"Sorry for the intrusion teacher, but this is important," he says. "Mr. Caldwell is here and needs to talk to you, Miss Caldwell."

"Father?" Rose says, her voice fearful, and she turns to look at the door.

Lily turns to look at Rose, "Cotton Candy...?" she says concerned.

A man in his 50s or so steps into the class. He looks strong, but not muscular, his features are sharp and his short brown hair is neatly done. His expression is grim as he fixes it on Rose. He's dressed in a traditional black suit with a white undershirt. He fixes his black tie as he takes a few steps into the classroom.

"Rose Caldwell", he says with a cold and emotionless voice. "Pack your bag and come. Now."

Rose looks defeated and anxious. Her chest-gem shines dimly through her clothes and her fingertips ebb with a pink glow. "Father..." she says quietly.

"Now, Rose. This has gone too far already," Rose's Father says.

"Father—" Rose says with a desperate expression.

Rose's Father's eyes flash with red and his neck fills with angry squirming angular red patterns. He looks at Rose and squeezes his eyebrows together. Rose leans slightly away from him and the gem in her chest pulses brightly under her clothes.

"Rose Miranda Cadence Caldwell," Rose's Father spits out. "Do not question me! I am your father. You will do as I say!", he commands and points a finger at Rose. Lily opens her mouth to speak, but Rose quickly waves her hand downwards to make her stop. "And you there peasant! Martinson I believe?", Rose's Father says and turns towards Lily.

"Uh.. yes, Sir?" Lily says and sits up straight.

"I will not have you dirty my family anymore with your despicable life choices", Rose's Father says. "You will not contact Rose, or any members of my family ever again. This is the last time you will see either of us. You should be thankful you're still alive and free and not in jail for your... your blasphemous ways of life."

"Father, please, Lili has nothing to do with—" Rose pleads.

"Silence, woman!" Rose's Father barks. His eyes burn bright red and his wrists and palms are filled with angular patterns.

Rose gathers her stuff in silence and stands up. She turns towards Lily and looks at her with sadness in her eyes. "Don't worry, Lili, I'll... I'll think of something. Don't do anything rash, my father... remember, my father's the other A..."

"Now, Rose," Rose's Father says. "Do not speak to the unclean one."

Rose walks to the door and glances at Lili with a desperate longing look. Lily's eyes well up and she mouths 'I love you' to Rose, who leaves. Rose's Father closes the door soundly behind him. There's complete silence in the class for a long while.

"Well..." The teacher says awkwardly after a couple of minutes. "At least that doesn't change much, it's not like Caldwell took part in the class, anyway..."

Lily stands up and slam her hands on her desk. "WHAT THE F—!", she yells angrily. "Teacher, you did not just... You know what, screw you, I'm out." Lily slams her books into her bag and runs out. She slams the door close behind her with such a force the windows in the classroom almost shatter.

Lily runs down the stairs and out of the main doors. Out in the yard, Lily sees Rose getting into a large black car, the door closed behind her by a man in a black suit, and the car driving away. She starts to run after the car, but stops after a few hundred meters when she notices running after a car does not actually work.

"Please..." Lily wheezes out. She breathes heavily, leaning on a fence. "Don't... don't take her away from me, please..."