Eating Together

Lily and Tarutaru are standing in a queue, in the school cafeteria. They're holding trays in their hands and have plates filled with food. Lily scans the tables for a place to sit. The cafeteria is far from full so you could sit almost anywhere. Lily's eyes are searching for a particular place though, even if she doesn't realize it herself. Her lips turn upwards and her eyes brighten and she starts walking toward a specific table.

"There's a good place to sit, Grass Patch," she says and nods towards a table near the windows. It's a smaller table that's overlooking the park outside. There's one person already sitting at that table. A girl with slightly frizzy pink hair...

Tarutaru follows Lily's gaze and rolls her eyes. "Lily, really? Caldwell?" she says and sighs. "You know she... ah, never mind, I can't change your mind anyway," she says, takes a deep breath and follows Lily to the table.

Lily sits down next to Rose, Tarutaru opposite of Lily. Tarutaru tries to keep her gaze on her food, or on the Cafeteria, but Lily's eyes wander to Rose. Rose lifts her gaze from her food and she looks blankly at Lily.

"Why?" Rose says with a flat tone.

"Why what?", Lily says, looking confused and lost.

"Why here," Rose says. She looks around the Cafeteria. "There are many more tables free. Why this one?"

"Because you were here," Lily says, realizes what she said, and then blushes furiously. Tarutaru snorts. "I mean," Lily stutters. "Uh, what I mean is... that... You were looking so lonely."

"And?" Rose says, without changing her expression.

Lily shifts on her chair and looks down at her food and take a fork to it. She picks up a piece of it and turns it around in her fork. "I don't want you to be alone," she says under her breath, almost inaudibly.

For a split second, Roses eyeliner pulses pink and her eyes glow, then she closes them and takes a deep breath. She opens them and they're looking like they always do, slight pink tint inner gray eyes.

"Fine," Rose says and turns away from Lily, her cheeks ever so slightly pinkish.

Lily smiles at Tarutaru and resumes eating happily.