chapter four

"So...your name's Calum?" the boy who had called me a newbie earlier asked, sitting next to a guy who looked just like him.

"Yeah..." I trailed off.

"I like your name," one of the two boys said. They looked like twins, and I didn't remember which one called me a newbie.

"T-Thanks," I said hesitantly, looking down at the ground and letting my hair fall over my face.

"Well, I'm Travis," the guy who complimented my name introduced.

"I'm Connor."

"Are you twins?" I couldn't help but ask, biting my lip and blushing when Connor laughed.

"No, we just look really alike." His mischievous grin made butterflies erupt in my stomach. I shook my head and stared at my worn-out sneakers, trying to hide my blush.

"Do you have any books over Greek Mythology?" I asked quietly and Travis nodded.

"Tons. This is a camp for Greek demigods, after all."

That made my blood freeze.

"Greek what?" I demanded, looking up at the two.

"Greek demigods. You know, half-god, half-human," Connor said and my head spun. I felt like I was going to faint.

"Gods?" I asked, my head already starting to hurt. Was this was Veda was talking about?

"You don't look so good. You alright? Maybe we should get one of the Apollo kids..."

Apollo kids?

"What kind of joke is this?" I asked, swooning a little as I stood up. "You have a freakin' horse man, then you talk about being half-god, half-human-"

"Yes, Calum," Chrion, the horse man from earlier said, walking over to me. "You're a demigod. Half human, half god."

"You can't be serious."

"I'm surprised you haven't been claimed yet. Your godly parent should've claimed you already."

"Listen, okay? I'm not a demigod. I'm just a boy from San Antonio who's scared of being around people because I don't want to hurt them, okay? I'm just a boy."

Connor stepped in front of me and went to throw his arm around my shoulders, but I immediately jumped away.

"You can't touch me," I warned and he looked shocked, his blue eyes blown wide open. I avoided his eyes and crossed my arms over myself.

"I-I'm sorry," he apologized.

"Why can't he touch you?" Chiron asked gently. I heard the pity weighing down his voice and I loathed it.

"Perhaps I should show you," I said, walking outside and picking a small dandelion. The dandelion shriveled up and died in my hand. "See? I kill everything I touch."

"Seriously? I get stuck with a lock picking ability, and you get a power that makes you kill things you touch. So unfair!" Travis whined.

"I'm sure having this ability has affected Calum greatly. Let's not forget he's lived several years in the mortal world with this power," Chiron reminded. "I'm sure it's been very hard."

"You have no idea," I said, shaking my head as I dropped the dandelion. "No idea..."

---

Travis and Connor showed me around the camp, pointing out all sorts of cool things I wanted to try out, like the rock wall and archery range.