chapter thirty-one

"Attention, campers," Chiron's deep voice called out, halting Nico and I's conversation. "We have received word from a goddess." Murmurs spread throughout the camp and the fire turned a dark green. I could feel fear circling the atmosphere. It was enough to choke me. Chiron pulled out a piece of paper from a messengers bag and unfolded it. His hands were shaking wildly, and his voice shook when he took a deep breath in. "Demigods, this is your warning," he said, reading off of the paper. My hands shook as I bit my lip and prayed it wasn't who I thought it was. "Should you think you are safe, this is to tell you it is quite the opposite. Camp Half Blood has been infiltrated with my helpers." I could practically hear Atë's cold, tantalizing voice, and I could tell it was her by the words Chiron spoke. "The demigod next to you could be one of my helpers. The demigod you're best friends with could be one of my helpers. The demigod you're in love with could be one of my helpers."

People collectively glanced around and muttered, the fire burning bright green, high and terrifying. I felt Nico's eyes on me, but I refused to look at him, instead looking at the ground, my hands making a steeple that was tucked under my chin. I bounced my leg up and down, trying to focus on something else - anything else.

"The point is," Chiron continued, "that I am already a step - tens of thousands of steps, actually - ahead of you. The goal of this plan is to kill every demigod in existence, except the ones who help me of course. First, I will destroy Camp Jupiter, then Camp Halfblood. While I know this will be tedious and exceptionally hard, the army I have raised contains the most powerful demigods and monsters I know. Most of them are hell-bent on revenge. Some of them need a bit of persuasion, but that's all been arranged. Know that if you come to me and aren't fully loyal, I can't hold up my promise. You know who you are. My little token prize. All I have to do is threaten one person and you're dancing in my hands like a little ballerina."

  My blood ran cold and my foot stopped jumping. I felt tears burn my eyes, because I knew exactly who she was talking about. I could feel the blood draining from my face, but I refused to look at anybody, instead staring at the coals at the bottom of the fire.

  "So farewell for now, demigods. Count your blessings. Recount every time you've ever isolated or hurt one of your fellow demigods. Tremble in fear knowing that is exactly why you're being targeted. Good luck scrambling around, trying to find a way around this. I guarantee you won't. Happy Holdiays, demigods."

I wasted no time in shooting up from the log and walking quickly back to the cabin. I could feel my heart beating faster and faster and I couldn't regulate my breathing.

"Cal, hey," Nico called after me, but I continued walking. "Cal," he muttered, grabbing my shoulder. I wrenched myself from his grip and turned to him, suddenly feeling the wind speed pick up. It made the tears on my face sting like ice was pelting me. I tried to suck more air in, but I couldn't breathe. Nico pulled me to the cabin, before he shut the door and locked it, quickly reaching to wipe away my tears. "Talk to me," he said softly, his eyes meeting mine.

"Atë - that - she was-" I choked out, clutching onto the front of his shirt. I must've looked as panicked as I felt, because he looked worried beyond belief.

"Cal, I'm gonna need you to breathe, okay?" he said calmly, reaching up to cup my face. "Can you do that for me?"

I nodded as I tried to suppress my sobs, swallowing them down and trying to breathe around them. It didn't work though, and I continued to sob, making it harder to breathe.

"Cal, sweetheart, please," he whispered, running a hand through my hair. "Breathe with me, okay?" I nodded again and he took a deep breath in, so I did as well, even though it was interrupted by sobs and hiccups. I followed his breathing pattern until mine was back on track, even though I was still sobbing. "I thought all of this Atë stuff was over, I'm so sorry."

"N-Not your fault," I stuttered out.

"I know, but..." he trailed off, once again wiping my tears. "I hate seeing you like this."

I closed my eyes and took in a breath, before I stepped away from him.

"I-I'm just gonna g-go to bed," I whispered and he nodded, before giving me a hug and kissing my forehead.

"Don't stress too much, please," he murmured. I laid down, pulling the covers up to my chin. Nico sighed and his bed creaked, before the lamp flickered off. I tried to fall asleep, but for some reason I couldn't. Then an idea struck me. It was risky, but it would really help. I got out of my bed and poked Nico's shoulder, watching as he opened his eyes.

"Can I lay with you?" I asked, my cheeks flushing. Nico lifted up the covers so I could crawl under.

"Of course."

I snuggled up against him, feeling him drape an arm over my waist. I sighed contently and stared at the spot where his neck met his shoulder.

Then, I fell asleep like it wasn't a struggle before.

---

  'Somnus,' a familiar voice called out, causing me to turn to see who it was.

  'Dad,' I muttered, noticing the bright gold eyes and black wings.

  'Don't call me that,' he said monotonously, walking along with me and beckoning me to follow him. 'It only gives you false hope.'

  A pain struck my chest. Of course. My own father didn't even want to claim me.

  'False hope for what?'

  'That I'll love you like a son.'

  His tone wasn't bitter, it was more melancholic than anything. Like he was forced to say nothing but the truth. Regardless of the fact that it wasn't said with malice, it still felt like a hand had punched through my chest. I wanted to be bitter, but I couldn't. Something about the truth behind his words wouldn't let me hate him.

'Then you can't call me Somnus.'

'Fair enough. Walk with me, demigod. We have a lot to talk about.'