chapter twenty-five

The next day, Nico nonchalantly asked, "So you like Percy?" as he flipped a page in his book. I focused on the yoga pose I was doing, which wasn't going so well, because I had a horrible sense of balance.

"What? What makes you say that?" I inquired, taking a deep breath. "If you're talking about what Veda said..."

"No, no, it was just a thought," he paused. "Do you though?"

  "Not at all...I mean sure, he's a great guy, but not my type," I said, before flipping to the next page in the yoga book Mr. D had given me. Who knew the god of wine did yoga? Nico chuckled a bit.

  "Funny. That's exactly what I said." I smiled a bit and tried to focus on the pose in the book. Why did these all have to do with balance? "What...never mind."

  "Tell me," I encouraged and he sighed.

  "What is your type?"  

  My mouth dried up. How could I tell him that my type was him? I didn't even have a type. I don't even know why I said that.

  "Um..." I trailed off, blinking and trying to come up with something to say.

  "People like Leo, huh? That's your type?" he inquired, sounding a bit jealous. I grinned.

  "You know the only reason why Leo and I were acting like we were was to make you jealous, right?" I said with a grin and watched as his cheeks flushed a soft pink.

"Seriously?" he whispered, dog tagging his book page and closing it, turning his eyes to me. "My type is dorks. Always has been. People I thought were these strong heroes and it turned out they were weird dorks."

"Like who?"

"Seriously?" he asked again. I raised an eyebrow. "Fine. I used to like Percy. And there was this other guy...it doesn't matter." He paused for a minute, before shaking his head. "We were great...I was convinced it would last forever, y'know?"

"What happened?"

"We were just two dumb kids who thought the world revolved around us. I realized that opposites really didn't attract that much. And then it was over."

"I'm sorry," I said and he shook his head.

"I'm okay now. We're still really good friends."

"That's good."

"Yeah...what about you? Any devastating heartbreaks?"

"More like any relationships? Nah, I've never been with anyone."

"Really?" Nico inquired, his head tilted to the side a bit.

"I grew up in a mortal world, homeschooled because whatever I touched died. I didn't know anyone outside of my family," I said, shrugging. "Well...my mom was my only real family. Bobby was an asshole and so were all of his kids."

  "How many did he have?"

  "Two real ones. Veda manipulated the Mist to make all of us think she was actually in our lives, but she wasn't."

  "Ouch," he whispered. "Why is she so set on killing me?"

  "Can't join Atë if I'm emotionally attached to someone at Camp, I guess," I said, trying to balance on one foot.

  "You're emotionally attached to me?" he inquired, and I lost my balance upon realization of what I said.

  "Uh..." I trailed off, my cheeks flushing as I gave up on yoga and stayed on the floor, sitting criss-cross. "Well, I mean...you were the only person who understood me and made me feel welcomed. Everyone else just...thought I was a monster."

  He moved down to sit in front of me, a small smile on his face. His cheeks were still dusted with a soft pink.

  "I'm glad you feel that way about me," he said softly, giving me a small smile. The lunch bell rang throughout the Camp, so he stood up and grabbed my hand, helping me up. When I stood, he didn't let go, instead lacing our fingers together. The action seemed so natural, like he was used to holding my hand; itt was an absent-minded gesture.

On the other hand, my cheeks were as red as a tomato, if not redder. He looked back at me, then down at our intertwined hands, a smile settling onto his face.

"What? I have to have my trusty shield with me incase Veda comes along," he joked, tugging me out of the door. I followed behind him, our hands still laced together. His hand was cold, but it was comforting. The spaces between his fingers held mine perfectly and I had the overwhelming feeling that this was meant to be. That we were meant to be-

Don't get ahead of yourself. You only have nine days until you're a slave to Atë and have to do whatever she says. This can't be permanent. Even if you manage to get out of her grasp, Nico will never forgive you.

  My stomach churned and I fought the urge to pull away from Nico. I didn't want to hurt him. Then again, that's all I was bound to do; hurt him and everyone at Camp. I couldn't imagine telling him about me joining Atë, I couldn't tell him on that last day that I had to leave. He'd hate me. Whatever this was - whatever we were - would crumble. I would never know the Nico I do now, even if there came a day when he forgave me.  

  "Hey, what's wrong?" he asked, stopping and turning so that we were facing each other. His eyes were a dark green, like the Camp's forest, and I found myself lost in them. I decided that I couldn't let Atë weigh me down. I'd live whatever I could to the fullest. Nico couldn't see that I was hurting.

  "Nothing," I said, giving him a soft smile. "Just thinking."

  "About what?"

  "Veda...I'm still a little shaken up," I admitted,  before relaxing as I felt him squeeze my hand.

  "You said Chiron said he'd deal with it, right? I'm sure everything's gonna be fine."

  "I hope so..." I trailed off, before pulling him into a hug. He froze for a minute, before hugging me back.

  "It's gonna be okay, Cal. I promise."