Storytelling

A resounding crack reverberated through the air, accompanied by the acrid scent of burnt ash and alcohol, as they forcefully entered the small, dilapidated hut.

Zarna's face contorted with discomfort, and she quickly covered her mouth with a handkerchief, trying to ward off a wave of nausea that washed over her.

Advika, sensing an unsettling aura in the place, voiced her unease, "I have a foreboding feeling about this place already." She gingerly brushed away the lingering spider webs that adorned the low-hanging roof.

Maya, closing the door firmly behind them, switched on the flashlight, its beam cutting through the encompassing darkness, illuminating the hidden corners of the room. The lack of light had shrouded the space in an eerie obscurity.

The hut's interior was characterized by rough stone walls, a torn and blackened red carpet that lay strewn across the floor, and a layer of ash covering every surface.

Advika swiftly intervened, her phone's flashlight casting an alert beam of light as she held it up to Zarna, who was about to touch one of the chairs. "Don't," she cautioned, her tone filled with concern. "We shouldn't touch anything without proper precautions."

Zarna hesitated, retracting her hand and returning her phone to her pocket. "But aren't we here to inspect?" she questioned, a hint of frustration in her voice.

Maya approached, holding out a pair of gloves. "Here, put these on," she advised, gesturing for Zarna to protect her hands. She walked towards a portrait hanging on the wall, carefully removing it and delicately dusting off the accumulated grime.

As the dust particles filled the air, Advika couldn't help but cough, her body reacting to the airborne irritants.

"Is this hut supposed to be theirs?" Zarna inquired, her eyes fixed on the three women portrayed in the painting.

The women in the artwork exuded elegance, adorned in long, ethereal gowns. One held a cup of tea, another cradled a bottle of wine, while the third woman was engaged in knitting. They were seated in a vibrant garden, surrounded by lush greenery, with a pink sky overhead.

"Why isn't she drinking anything?" Zarna pondered aloud, her curiosity piqued. "And why is the sky pink?"

Maya chimed in, her gaze fixed on the painting. "It must be one of these women," she deduced.

Advika joined the discussion, a furrow forming on her brow. "But how do we know which one?" she questioned, feeling a sense of bewilderment.

"Let's search the surroundings for more clues," Zarna suggested, determined to uncover the mystery. With that, she turned and headed in the opposite direction, exploring the hut further.

Maya carefully rehung the portrait back on the wall and lowered her torch to examine the floor. Her keen eyes spotted something intriguing. "Look," she pointed, her voice filled with intrigue. "Black ash. It's another piece of the puzzle."

"Does it mean that these are bad witches?" quizzed Zarna.

"Not necessarily," said Maya.

"Empty bottles of alcohol," said Advika as she scrutinized the small table and three chairs surrounding it.

Zarna stood before a wardrobe nestled in the corner of the hut, her gaze fixated on the peculiar doorknob that resembled the shape of a sword.

"Should I?" she hesitated, seeking validation from her friends who stood beside her.

"Proceed with caution," Advika advised, her voice laced with a mix of anticipation and trepidation. Her own heart raced, and a slight dizziness washed over her.

Maya, sensing the intensity of the moment, checked the meter to gauge the energy in the vicinity. "Negative," she confirmed, her tone grave.

Zarna took a deep breath, her hand quivering as she reached out to grasp the knob.

"Be careful," Advika warned, her voice a gentle reminder of the potential dangers that lay ahead. She retrieved a locket from her jeans, holding it tightly for strength. Maya produced a small glass bottle from her sling bag, ready to contain any unexpected forces that might be unleashed.

Zarna cautiously turned the knob, her heart pounding with a mix of anticipation and apprehension. To her disappointment, the wardrobe stood empty, devoid of any hidden secrets. She let out a relieved sigh, turning to face her friends with a hint of disappointment in her eyes.

However, as she stood with her back towards the open cupboard, an eerie sensation prickled at the nape of her neck. The air around her seemed to grow colder, and a shiver crept down her spine.

Instinctively, Zarna sensed impending danger and lifted her left foot to distance herself from the mysterious presence. But before she could react further, an unseen force seized her by the waist, pulling her forcefully into the depths of the wardrobe.

"Zarnaa!" the girls screamed in unison, their voices filled with panic and fear.

Advika rushed forward, desperately attempting to turn the stubborn knob. "It won't open!" she exclaimed; her voice tinged with frustration. "Zarna, where are you?"

Maya, filled with a surge of determination, slammed the door shut in a desperate bid to free their trapped friend. "Zarna!" she called out, her voice trembling with worry and urgency.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"There were three kings and three queens," Indra explained, his voice carrying a sense of intrigue. Rutuja carefully placed the tray on the ground, filled with five glasses of refreshing lime juice. She picked up two glasses and offered one to Rishi, settling herself comfortably beneath the shade of a towering tree beside him.

Daksh positioned himself a little distance away, finding solace under another tree that faced Rutuja and Rishi.

Dai Ma occupied the small cot placed outside the house, while Indra settled into an easy chair beside her. They formed a circular arrangement, each facing the other with anticipation in their eyes.

"King Agneya, accompanied by his devoted wife Queen Bhilangana. King Bhaumik, alongside his beloved Queen Ambar. Lastly, we have King Samir, guided by his wise and respected Queen Agrata."

Indra paused, allowing the weight of the names to sink in before continuing. "Now, what can you deduce from these names?" he asked, a mysterious glimmer in his eyes, inviting speculation and curiosity from his attentive audience.

"Agneya means fire, Bhilangana means river Ganga, so water, Bhaumik means Earth, Ambar is the sky, Samir is air, and Agrata means leadership," said Rutuja and sipped the lime juice.

"Excellent," said Indra. Rutuja smiled.

"These Kings and Queens each held the power of an element, as per their names," revealed Indra. "And Queen Agrata, as her name suggests, was the leader of all. It was going good, until Azazel arrived."

"Did he attack these kings and queens? Is he really that old? I mean, centuries old?" Rishi inquired, a bead of sweat rolling down his forehead under the scorching sun.

Indra nodded solemnly, acknowledging Rishi's questions. "Azazel, through years of devoted sorcery, attained extraordinary powers that halted his aging process. Regrettably, he misused these powers, veering down the wrong path," he explained, a hint of sadness in his voice.

Rutuja's curiosity grew as she leaned forward, eager to uncover more information. "So, he did target the kings and queens?" she inquired, her eyes reflecting a mixture of concern and intrigue.

"Yes," replied Indra. "They knew Azazel was nearly invincible. To protect their powers, they decided to keep it in a place where it could not be found. So, they summoned Grantha, the guide, and transferred all their knowledge into her. Grantha had the power to transform herself into anything she desired. So, she transformed into a book and skulked, landing on Earth, where our ancestors were given the responsibility to protect the book, by the kings and queens."

~~~~~

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late updates. Hope y'all still enjoying the story. It's all just getting started so stay tuned.

Keep supporting!