71. Touya

WARNING: description of past child abuse (Endeavour is a bastard and the control school wasn't much better). Mentions of harm to children and child death (the massacre of the control school).

There are warnings in chapter to help you skip the specific section for the child abuse sections with a summary of the important information provided (I wasn't able to do the same for the child death, sorry). Please read responsibility and be kind to yourself. If this kind of thing will make you understandably uncomfortable to read, don't.

There's a full chapter summary below as well for those who would feel safer skipping the whole chapter. I do not blame nor judge you if you choose to skip.

Summary:
Touya's family is under protective custody. Touya regrets mixing Otsuka up in his mess.
Touya reflects on his history, suffering under Endeavour and trying to protect Shouto from the same fate only for it all to become too much. After a terrible incident, Touya ran. Half dead, he was found by Mags who took him to the control school where he could be safe. Without any records, there was no way Endeavour could find him there.
Guilty over leaving his siblings to Endeavour, he didn't make friends, often starting fights and getting put into solitary confinement. Then, Mags introduced him to Otsuka, a very scared little girl who was just the same age as his baby brother.
He loved her as he loved all his siblings.
Later, Mags told him he had to leave the school and never come back as an alternative to a gruelling controlee test that would've seriously hurt Emiko. When his attempt to escape with her fails, he doesn't he was told and starts to build up something of a life on his own.
All For One finds him and forces him into villainy. Touya continues to recount events until he comes to present day, captured by heroes.
He keeps asking if Otsuka will be ok. He's eventually told Otsuka and himself will be just fine. He doesn't believe he deserves it, but there's little he can do— Nezu is getting involved.

Otsuka, now back in her original interrogation room, talks with Oboro. Yamada listens from the viewing room without their knowledge. It becomes very clear to both Yamada and Oboro that everything Otsuka did, she did for TT's sake, for the sake of her brother in all but blood. She admits, even if it meant never getting to follow her dream for heroics, she wouldn't change the choices she made. Without TT, she wouldn't even be dreaming of heroics, so she wouldn't want her dream of it meant throwing him and his family under the bus.

Take care of yourself, do what's safest for you.

Chapter 71: Touya

Rule 77: Don't apologise for telling the truth.

Todoroki Touya's life was a mess. He freely admitted that. Blame could go in several ways. His. His father's. The villains'. But he couldn't be bothered with that right now. No. Deciding who to blame for all of this could come later. Right now, there were more important things.

"So, what happens now?"

They'd taken Otsuka out of the room, they wouldn't tell him where, but he figured it was probably a separate interrogation room. There was a lot to talk about, a lot to explain. He should never have dragged her into this.

"It's complicated," the detective— he was pretty sure the man introduced himself as Tsukauchi— told him.

"My family, are they-"

"We've got all of them, aside from Endeavour who refused to come in."

Touya felt a vice that had been wrapped around his chest for over two years finally release. For the first time in way too long, he could breathe.

He didn't mean to get wrapped up in the world of villains. All he ever wanted was a normal life. But normal was not what he'd been given.