17. Trying to Rest

Rule 28: Wanting a friend is not a weakness, it's ok to not want to be lonely.

Cementoss— having only just finished fixing the destruction in the arena— was now paving over the massive crater Otsuka had left behind outside and questioning how it came to be. His main theory was a villain attack, especially with how dishevelled some of the patrolling heroes looked as they watched him heal the path, except that didn't explain why nobody seemed to want to tell him what happened.

Aizawa, leaving poor Cementoss to his confusion, was back in the commentator's box with his husband, his mind though was elsewhere as he mulled over the question of who took Otsuka's cuff. It seemed too much of a coincidence for the cuff to vanish on the one day Otsuka truly needed it more than anything, the likelihood that it was mistaken for something valuable and stolen was too low. And that was all before he considered Recovery Girl's similarly missing inhibitors. But who would do it and why? There shouldn't have been a way to make a planned attack using Otsuka's episode, the episodes came randomly. There shouldn't even have been anyone out there who knew anything about Otsuka and her quirk until the festival today, aside from other controlees who'd cleared before her— but those people would have no way of knowing she was now at UA. It didn't make sense.

Thousands of people had almost died today. Nothing about it should've been able to happen.

***

Otsuka dutifully sat still as Recovery Girl gave her a quick checkup. Now that her energy was all back, Otsuka knew she'd be as healthy as always. Her temperature would be a bit out of whack but aside from that she'd be in tip top condition— that was just how it always worked.

To add to this, the small cuts all along her skin from the obstacle course had mysteriously healed without so much as a mark. That was less normal for one of Otsuka's episodes (though she supposed she didn't exactly have a habit of being injured in the lead up to an episode so she wouldn't necessarily know) but she figured the episode was the only thing she could blame the fast regeneration on. So now she had a new weird and wacky thing to add to her insane quirk's capabilities. Yippee!

A curtain had been pulled around the bed Otsuka had firmly been told to rest in. On the other side of that curtain, Midoriya was just waking up from the surgery he'd needed to save his arms after his match with Todoroki. Otsuka heard him groaning quietly as he returned to the land of the living and, highly bored of pretending to be asleep, she slowly (to keep it as quiet as possible) pulled back the curtain between them.

She waved as he blinked blearily at her. "How're you feeling?" she asked him quietly.

Midoriya frowned, the glittery green of his eyes temporarily hidden from view as he blinked. "I'm good," he said like he didn't have casts around each of his fingers and along his arm.

"I only caught the last bit of your match but it looked pretty-" How did she put 'intensively destructive and beyond violent' nicely?- "extreme." She didn't know what would've happened to the audience if she hadn't put those shields up. It had been one bit of perfect timing in an altogether terrible day. Ok, an altogether terrible hour or so.

The boy grimaced, and she almost regretted making him think about it. "I um- You c-could say that, yes. But, uh, why are you in here? Did you get hurt during one of the earlier rounds?"

"No, no, I'm fine, just got a few scratches from the obstacle course," she told him, though all of those scrapes were healed now, which totally made perfect sense and wasn't one more thing to add to the list of 'ridiculous' by her quirk.