Chapter 4

Family is the safest place you would want to be with. They are a circle of love, warmth, and care...having each other's backs through thick and thin.  In the past, I have always wanted to be with my family again and now, I have them back. I would never trade anything for them and never leave their side again.

So, when my mother told me of the dance that all merfolk engage in if chosen...will I leave my family willingly or do I put up a fight? That will be decided, I guess, when it happens or if it happens.

We swim out of the palace and make it to two grown hippocampus. One has a more green glow while the other is a blue. They look over at me and sniff at the same time.

"The green one is Shelly and the blue is her brother, Crane." I look at my mother in surprise at the names. Shelly and Crane? Really!?

"Your sister picked the names. Don't ask." mother waves her hand and I chuckle as I could have guessed that.

My father and Crystal get on Shelly while I and my mother get on Crane. Since we aren't with human legs, we can't sit with both legs on either side of the horse. Instead, we do side-saddle, our tail on one side or the other of the horse, and hold on for dear life.  

I sit in the back of my mother with my gold tail on the left side of the horse as my mother sits with her dark gold tail on the right. She grabs the black chain reins whipping them. I wrap my arms around her waist when the creatures start to swim. Very. Fast.

During the ride, mom, dad, and Crystal tell me all about the kingdom. Mostly, it was Crystal who shared with me her time in the sea. She actually is learning to play the piano and is finding a song to sing for the dance.

At times, when Crystal blabbered on about her favorite pet seahorse, I noticed the glum look on my parent's faces. Something is not right at all. They should be glad to have me here and their younger daughter talking to me but the way they look, it is like they dread me being here with them. I wonder why?

'They are hiding something from me' Sarah thinks.

We soon arrive at the Caribbean Sea in the North Atlantic Ocean as my father is the king of that sea. Damn it! I was hoping we were commoners so it would be easy for me to tell Nix the next time he calls me his queen that I can't be. 

Now being a royal might be a lot more stressful than I thought. It will be harder to deny him now since, in the councilmen's eyes, we both are royal and can in fact be legible to marry. We enter the Shell kingdom and everyone bows as we pass.

We enter the palace which is a more modern luxurious mansion than Nix's. It truly looked like a real castle with its white cement and pillars.

The guards grab the chain reins from the royals as they slide off the animal

The guards grab the chain reins from the royals as they slide off the animal. I swim past and one of the guards nods at me in welcoming which I smile at. I enter the white marble entrance room with one staircase leading up to the second floor on the left.