Chapter 20

Geez, I return home and I get chained up once more. As Nix grips my hand and in his other hand is the cuff for my wrist; I yank myself free. I swim away from him and put distance between us.

"Get back here you little..."

"Finish that sentence and I might just never return." That shut him up.

"Nix," he glares at me but I glare back." No, your name is Nix and so I am calling you by your name. I am done with this dominant bullshit. You think I will yield for you." He doesn't say anything.

"No, I am the queen and you are my king. We are to be ruling together as equals not me as your pet." I spit the last word out in a sneer.

"That is not how things are supposed to work." Nix says.

"Well, fuck that shit. I am done with everyone underestimating me and telling me what to do. I lived my life on land way better alone and safe than here and get tossed around like some toy. Either you treat me with respect and we rule together as a team or I leave." Nix growls at the last sentence.

"You will not leave my side." He growls at me.

"Well then, what do you want from me? Power? Sex? I already gave you two children through your rape and never once have you even cared about me."

"Don't you dare insult me. I loved you your whole life."

"Well, you really have no way in showing it. Did I ever get an I love you from you or have you ever asked what I wanted? No! You didn't because all you care about is your own damn power and kingdom." I begin screaming at him with more tears falling down my face.

"A king yields to no one." He curls his fingers in a fist.

"Well, maybe it is time to change that. You are the king, you have the power to change the rules and allow us to have another chance to be together. Don't you want that?" I whisper the last part.

My family issue is solved, now it is just the love part. Nix has been a great friend, helping me figure out how to work my real mermaid tail. Protecting me and giving me a wonderful life. My heart yearns for this insane merman no matter what he does to me.

Although, my heart still wants more. More, meaning, to be loved back. 

"Don't you love me at all? All this time did you even lift a finger to stop your duties and be by my side. Have a moment to lie next to each other and talk about anything. To be one. What is in your heart Phorcys-Nix?" I have to ask because my heart is close to breaking into millions of pieces.

He tucks his head down and I allow him the time to think things over. His answer can tip fate to decide whether I stay in the water or walk back on land once more. Can take over the job at the aquarium since John is a statue with his accomplice.

"Perhaps it is best you leave." that is what I didn't want to hear. "You have the trident and the ring. Found out the truth about your family so you may leave. Be who you want to be." He turns his back to me.

"What about love? Are you even wanting love?" I ask swimming closer.

"Love is for fools and a king is above all that." He squares his broad shoulders and does not meet my gaze.

"Is that so? Well, it was nice knowing you, Karl." I swim off. 

I don't look back. I couldn't and I can't. Tears spill freely out into the sea. I swim out of the castle and through the kingdom. I wave to everyone who looks at me and continues on my path. It takes the whole day in getting to where I need to be.

Once I make it, I close my eyes and allow the ring magic from within to burst through my tail. I open my eyes and see I have my legs back. I climb out of the water and breathe in the air. Luckily my magic allows me to grow some clothes on my form.

"Sarah!" I see Jordan and Mike with Austin at the beach. my two children are there with the dragon blocking the sun from their forms.

"Hey, guys."

"What happened?" I look out to the sea. 

"I figured out where I truly belong." I smile at my friends and we head to the aquarium.

Austin opens the office door and I see John plack. I take it tossing it into the black steel bin. Sitting where John has sat sends shivers up my spine.

"You are never alone. Welcome back, Boss." Austin grins at me and I smile back prepared for what may be.

This journey has been with twists and turn but I learned that where home is where you come back to in the end. My home is on land and at sea. I have the magic to return to sea and maybe get to visit Nix a few times. 

My gaze meets the sea as the familiar song enters my mind.

No storm can take my eyes from you.