[16]

(This chapter is longer than average and contains mature sexual themes! Read at your own discretion.)

Lizzie turned to Paul when they were deep enough in the forest, and he ducked behind a tree to phase, pulling new clothes over his head. He came back around and sat next to Lizzie on the grass, still breathing heavily, burning off the adrenaline.

"I'm sorry." He said quietly, voice hoarse. Lizzie shook her head, taking his hand in her own, and beginning to lead him back to the house. They made it all the way back to her bedroom, and they both lay down in her bed before she said anything.

"I'm sorry." She said quietly. "I shouldn't have been so close." Paul turned, frowning at the words as he looked at her.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. I was the one who wasn't acting rationally." He replied, shaking his head as he squeezed her hand. Lizzie shook her head.

"No, you were thinking perfectly rationally. You promised to protect me, remember? That's exactly what you did. I shouldn't have needed protecting. Emmet, he-" She said.

"That bastard knew what he was doing." Paul stated, frowning. "I'll always protect you, Elizabeth."

"I know." She replied, turning and burying her face in his chest. She took a few deep breaths, feeling the heat of his body soak into her face before speaking. "I feel useless." She said quietly.

"What?" Paul asked, sitting up somewhat abruptly. "You're not useless. Don't ever-"

"I want to help, Paul. You guys are all risking your lives, and I'm doing nothing. I want to be a part of this." She said, interrupting. Paul blinked, taking a moment to think before nodding in understanding.

"I don't want you in this fight. You can't- I can't put you in danger." Paul explained slowly. Lizzie shook her head.

"I know I can't fight against the newborns, but there has to be something. I-I need to help." She pleaded. "I don't want... I don't want to be away from you." She confessed. As the time they spend together increases, Lizzie realized how difficult it was to be away from him. Every time they were apart, she just wanted to be with him. She felt like an addict, knowing she just wanted more.

"I don't want to be away from you, either." Paul admitted, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. "But I have to fight for you." Lizzie frowned, hugging him closer to her, never wanting to let go. 

"Edward, Jasper and Jacob have a plan." Paul said, leading Lizzie into the forest outside of her house. "We're meeting them in the field where the battle will take place. Bella will be there, too." Paul explained. Lizzie nodded, feeling tired from the lack of sleep she got last night. Despite being in Paul's arms, all she could think about was how worried she would be about him. 

He phased, stepping down so Lizzie could climb onto his back. She leaned down, breathing in the scent of him, feeling his fur, his warmth. He took a minute to appreciate her stroking his fur before beginning the sprint through the forest.

They arrived quickly, Lizzie spotting the small group waiting in the middle of the field. She slid off of Paul's back, giving him a chance to change. She made to start walking toward the field, but Paul stopped her. 

He quickly grabbed her, ignoring her small squeak, pulled her up onto his back and began running. He gripped her thighs tightly as he ran alarmingly fast, bringing them to the middle of the field without issue. Greeting the vampires, Bella, and Jacob, they started in on the plan.