[23]

"Where the hell were you?" Sam snapped, stomping forward as Lizzie pulled into her driveway. The entire Cullen coven was standing miserably on the doorstep, the wolf pack scattered around the front yard in the pouring rain. Lizzie's hair was still wet, more-so as she stepped out of the car. Paul, slamming Lizzie's passenger door, growled as Sam stepped just a little too close. The Alpha stepped backward, giving them both space, but his anger still radiated off him in waves. "Paul, where were you?" He asked again sternly.

"I needed some time to think." Paul replied roughly.

"First time for everything." Jared mumbled, folding his arms across his chest. Embry elbowed him, and Jared cursed under his breath, rubbing the spot on his ribs that was becoming increasingly assaulted by elbows.

"Let's go inside before Lizzie gets hypothermia." Carlisle suggested calmly, trying his best to mediate the situation. It was nice of him to try, but meddling in the affairs of werewolves did not end so well for them last time.

"I hate being the only human." Lizzie grumbled. She nodded anyways, moving past the group of grumpy, wet, vampires to unlock her front door. She stepped inside, immediately moving out of the way to let the influx of people rush in the door. 

Paul was the last to step inside, and he dutifully closed the door behind him as Lizzie rushed to the linen closet to get some towels. She handed them out, the Cullens taking them gratefully while the wolves grumbled about not being able to shake the water off inside.

"What is this about?" Paul asked, frowning at the large collection of people. Lizzie bit her lip, just shaking her head slightly in response before moving over to her friend.

"Do we really have to talk about this now?" Lizzie whispered to Bella as the pack deposited themselves in all of the comfortable furniture around the room whilst the Cullens perched themselves on barstools and windowsills. It was the most juxtaposed party of guests Lizzie had ever had in her home, and it felt very unusual.

"Unfortunately." Bella mumbled in return. They walked into the room, Lizzie positioning herself on Paul's lap as he leaned back in an armchair. Carlisle positioned himself in the front of the room, standing in front of the TV and the fireplace.

"Most of you know why we're here, and some of you don't." Carlisle began, eyeing Paul carefully. 

Said werewolf ignored the knowing look, wrapping his arm around Lizzie's waist and placing his hand on her thigh. The intimacy calmed them both down, even though Lizzie's anxiety was mostly centred on Paul's reactions.

"At Bella and Edward's wedding, we invited some cousins of ours from Alaska." Carlisle explained. "One of which, Irina, was the mate of another vampire you may remember, Laurent. In courageous effort to protect Bella, the wolves killed Laurent after he threatened her. This later led to an intense battle against an army of newborns."

"Just get to it, Carlisle. We were all there." Sam stated, huffing his impatience. Carlisle nodded, clearing his throat.

"Upon noticing the presence of the wolves at the wedding, Irina was enraged. They killed her mate, rightfully so, but it upset her greatly." Carlisle continued. "Irina noticed, that evening, that it was Elizabeth that managed to pull Paul away before a fight could break out, which we were all grateful for. Unfortunately, Irina also correctly assumed that Elizabeth had intimate knowledge of our kind, despite being a human."

"Just spit it out, Carlisle. We all know where this is going." Edward urged, crossing his arms tightly. Paul's grip on Lizzie's thigh tightened upon Carlisle's every word, as he got closer and closer to revealing the true danger.