[21]

Lizzie spent the remainder of her day in bed, relaxing, and trying not to think about the tender pain in her back. The hit wasn't that hard, but Lizzie still remained in a state of shock. Not intensely, but her anxiety about Bella was still present in her mind. She had never really made her opinions known to Bella about her transformation. Granted, it wasn't for her to really say, but now it was too late. She was one of them.

Lizzie was worried, for the most part, because Bella was her friend, and she didn't need another reason for them to stay away from each other. Bella would already find her scent somewhat revolting because of her relationship with Paul, and he wouldn't be very fond of her spending her days with the vampires. Lizzie knew Bella was still 'fresh' enough that there was no way she'd be let out of their sights, especially around a human. It made things that much harder.

Paul knocked lightly on her bedroom door, peering in and finding Lizzie laying on her bed, staring at the ceiling. He smirked slightly, failing to notice the opened bottle of painkillers on Lizzie's nightstand.

"Hey, baby. How was Bella's?" He asked, stepping inside and closing the door behind him. Lizzie gave a half-hearted shrug, maintaining her stare at the textured drywall on the ceiling. Paul raised an eyebrow, stepping closer and kneeling on the bed. He leaned down, beginning to wrap his arms around her when she squeaked in pain. Paul immediately frowned, pulling back and analyzing the wince on her face. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

He did a physical survey, noticing the pills on the bedside table and the uncomfortable position Lizzie was laying in. His frown deepened, and Lizzie watched the emotions fly across his face. He stepped closer again, this time gently moving Lizzie, flipping her onto her stomach as he sat beside her on the bed.

"Paul-" Lizzie protested, but he had already lifted her shirt. The bruising had deepened, the broken blood vessels settling into her skin. They were deep purple, but they wouldn't get any worse. She had looked at them in the mirror before, the bruises in splotches lining her spine as well as the bottom of her ribs, where her kidneys would be.

Paul's expression was pained, and he recoiled. He couldn't bear to see his imprint hurt, in any way. He reached out to examine the bruises, and his hand shook. He pulled it away, instead running it through his hair. He shuffled backward before standing and moving to the desk chair, sitting and contemplating for a moment.

Lizzie pushed herself up into a sitting position, shuffling to get more comfortable. She turned to him, but he refused to meet her eyes. He hunched over, setting his elbows on his knees and holding his head in his hands. Lizzie's eyes softened, her heart breaking inside at the sight of him this way. She thought he might get angry, loosely threaten Bella in some way, maybe throw something or at the very least, slam the door. There was nothing. He sat, in the corner of her room, silently.

"Paul, please talk to me. I'm fine. I'm okay." Lizzie stated, shaking her head slightly. She stood up, walking over to him slowly and kneeling in front of the chair. She could barely see his face through his fingers, but she caught a glimpse at the light reflection of water on his face. Tears. He was crying. Lizzie felt a pang deep in her chest, feeling her own eyes well up at the sight. "Paul."

She reached up, trying to take his wrists and bring his hands away from his face, but he wouldn't budge. They sat like that for a few minutes, a thousand emotions running rampant through Lizzie's brain, her anxiety spiking at Paul's silence.

He abruptly stood up, removing his hands from his face as he stood still for a moment. Not bothering to brush the tears from his cheeks, he moved toward the door. Lizzie tried to stand, struggling a bit, and he was already down the stairs. She followed him as quickly as she could.