[18]

"How long?" Edward asked as they arrived in the field. The bodies of the newborns burnt in front of them, looking far too much like a bonfire. Lizzie immediately glanced around, searching for Paul.

"A few minutes. Maybe ten?" Alice offered.

"The pack needs to leave." Carlisle stated. Lizzie spotted them across the clearing, before ignoring any pain and sprinted toward them. Paul sniffed the air, stepping away from the pack before moving toward her, nuzzling his head into her shoulder as she wrapped her arms around his fluffy neck. He sniffed again, this time more aggressively, and whipped around.

A stray newborn came out of the forest a few feet away, smelling Lizzie's blood and licking his lips. Paul stepped in front of her, growling. They both leaped forward, and the newborn tackled Paul. He had been watching the battle, therefore knowing how to beat the wolf. He wrapped his arms around the wolf, staying on his back, digging his hands into the wolf's ribs. He squeezed, and the sickening sound of bones snapping echoed in Lizzie's ears.

Paul whimpered, falling to the ground while the rest of the pack tackled the vampire off of him, tearing him to shreds as they finished him six to one. Lizzie made a pained noise as she ran forward, skidding to her knees at Paul's side. He phased back with a crack, immediately crying out with the pain. He rolled on the ground, clutching his ribs.

"Paul... please, be okay. Paul, please." Lizzie pleaded, hot tears falling to the grass in front of her. She tried to keep him still, holding his head in her hands. She felt like she couldn't breathe. It was almost like she could feel his pain, the strain on her body so intense that her sobs remained silent. Paul's eyes fluttered in front of her, the gold flecks she once saw in them dimming to a dull brown. Carlisle was already at Lizzie's side, examining the injuries.

"The bones on the left half of his body are shattered." Carlisle stated.

Paul's sweat dripped, mingling with Lizzie's tears in the grass. The wolf pack came running from behind the large boulder, Sam kneeling down on Lizzie's other side, a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"We need to set the bones before the accelerated healing kicks in. It's already starting." Carlisle stated.

"We need to get him out of here. We're not gonna win a fight with the Volturi." Edward stated, standing behind Carlisle, Bella gripping his hand from beside him.

"We'll take him back to Emily's." Sam said, his deep voice commanding. Lizzie whimpered as Paul groaned again.

"Please, baby, please." She pleaded. Carlisle stepped back, the wolves surrounding Paul's body and hauling him up between the six of them.

"It's okay, we got you." Sam said quietly, as Paul grunted with the pain. Leah moved over to Lizzie, standing her up from her position, kneeling in the grass. She walked with her all the way back into town, even riding with her in the truck toward Emily's. Leah was quiet, but they both new her being there to support was enough. Leah knew the pain of loosing a loved one.

They got there quickly, Paul already laying on the couch in Emily's living room. Sam and Carlisle were already inside, but Emily and the boys were stuck outside, waiting. When Lizzie arrived, she moved to go inside, but Embry stepped in her path.

"Embry, move." Lizzie insisted, her voice breaking as fresh tears threatened to spill. His lip quivered, but he shook his head, standing firm. They stood like that for a full minute before Lizzie gave up, deciding to then pace in front of the house. All of the boys watched her nervously, unsure of what this was doing to her, inside.

That's when the screaming started.

Paul's cries of anguish made the whole pack flinch. Embry and Jared had to stand, holding Lizzie back as she tried to wrestle out of their grip. She needed to see him. He needed to be okay. He screamed again, and Lizzie sobbed, trying desperately, and failing to be released from Embry and Jared's hold.