[25]

Charlie invited everyone over for Christmas. And by everyone, he meant everyone. Olivia, Lizzie, Paul, Jacob, Seth, Leah, Edward, Bella, and Sue were all there. Sue was already there, and Lizzie was ecstatic that she and Charlie were together now, after years of flirting. She thought Billy might be a little jealous, but she was happy for them.

"Alright! Present time! Seth, Leah, stop eating." Charlie announced as he and Sue came into the room. Olivia smiled from her spot next to the two, and Lizzie and Paul shared a knowing glance as they sat together in one of Charlie's armchairs. Bella and Edward came in from the kitchen, leaning against the doorframe together. "Jake, you start. Let's go." Jake pulled a small gift wrapped in newspaper from the tree, unwrapping it slowly.

"So what'd you get me?" Seth asked, wiggling his eyebrows at his older sister.

"Nothing." Leah replied grimly, making a face at him.

"Hey! No, come on, what'd you get me?" He asked again. Bella walked over and handed her gift to Charlie, and sat down beside Jacob. 

"What'd you get me?" Paul whispered into Lizzie's ear, pulling her into his chest.

"You'll see it later." Lizzie said with a smirk, turning to press a kiss to his jaw. He hummed lowly, his grip around her waist tightening.

"What if mine's better?" He asked, his lips against the back of her neck.

"Well I'll just have to step it up, then." Lizzie replied with a smirk. Paul huffed a laugh, his hot breath on the back of her neck sending shivers down her spine. Lizzie couldn't help but smile, glancing around the room at her friends. Her family. 

She shivered again, feeling a soft weight around her neck. Lizzie looked down, seeing a small chain resting against her collarbone, a small silver key hanging from it delicately. 

"It's beautiful." Lizzie mumbled, reaching up to brush the cool silver with her fingers. Paul smiled.

"Would you hate me if I did something cheesy?" He asked quietly. Lizzie narrowed her eyes, turning around to face him. He smirked as he pulled at a chain Lizzie hadn't noticed around his neck, lifting it out of his shirt. A small silver lock hung from the chain, and she smiled, knowing the keyhole on the chain matched the key perfectly.

"Cheesy is not always a bad thing." She said in reply, smiling. He smiled back, leaning down and pressing a kiss to her lips.

Lizzie sat next to Benjamin and Tia, the roaring fire in front of them thanks to Benjamin's incredible elemental abilities. Paul came over, taking a seat beside her, and she gratefully snuggled into his warmth and comfort. 

"This is what I'm talking about." Jacob said with a grin, rubbing his hands as he sat before the fire. "A little pre-battle bonfire. Telling war stories. Or just standing there like fucking statues." 

Looking up, Lizzie followed his gaze to the rest of the vampires. Some were chatting quietly amongst themselves, but most were standing away from the fire, motionless and silent. Benjamin grinned.

"Name any American battle. I was there." Garrett said, appearing a few feet away and taking a seat beside Jacob. 

"Little Bighorn." Jacob tried.

"I came this close to biting Custer, but the Indians got him first." Garrett stated, holding up his pinched fingers, about an inch from each other. Jacob clenched his jaw. Kate came over, perching on Garrett's lap.