To New Friends

The unknown Michelle was not just pretty. Serena thought the woman was stunning, with her greenish-black wavy locks and hazel eyes. Michelle was also far from unknown. Alex was right. The woman was a legend. Serena could not quite contain her surprise and delight when Darien introduced them.

"Serena, say hello to Michelle or perhaps I should say, Michiru-san?" He tilted his head to the woman in front, his tone teasing.

Michelle's reply was a scintillating smile. "No need to be so formal. Hi, Serena. Nice to meet you."

Serena bowed her head in the courteous Japanese gesture she was used to. "Yoroshiku onegai shimasu, Kaioh-san." She was sure her eyes were very bright in her eagerness to meet this painter, this artist whose works she'd fallen in love with the moment she saw them used in a calendar issue of a famous Japanese company.

"Please call me Michelle. Kochira koso."

Serena turned her eyes at Darien, her happiness very apparent, her gratefulness to him almost leaping out of her skin. Did he know that she'd wanted to meet Kaioh in person? How could he have known?

He only shook his head. She wasn't sure if he could read her mind. Perhaps he was shaking his head because she's acting like a very eager child who's made to attend her first pajama party.

"Pleasure's mine, really, Michelle." She gave the woman her sunny smile.

Michelle gave a kind laughed at the display of innocence.

She was tall, perhaps only three or four inches shorter than Darien and Alex who were almost of the same height, compared to Serena's petite frame. Michelle was the picture of elegance and sophistication. Serena could not help admiring her.

"Please, let's step inside the living room. It's much cozier there, I promise." Michelle turned and led the way. They were standing not five steps away from the main door of her grand apartment.

"What brought you to Seoul?" Darien asked.

"I'm planning on doing an exhibit here. A good friend invited me to use his gallery."

"His?" Darien taunted. "What does Alex say about that?"

"Since he's not here and the invitation was extended to him as well, I guess it answers your question. He believes himself in love this time. For real. Who am I to contradict him?" Michelle's tone was light, as if she didn't mind in the least.

"You should have put him on a tight leash years ago."

"I like my freedom, thank you. And let's not talk about me. Where are you hiding this beauty, Darien?" Michelle took a long look at Serena's face. She noticed that the girl was frowning, as if she didn't consider herself a beauty. "She's a very good subject. You think I could persuade Serena to paint her?"

"Depends on what kind of painting you have in mind."

"Nude. Definitely nude." Michelle looked at Serena from head to toe. The poor girl blushed from the roots of her golden hair.

"Then I'm afraid it's no go."

"Protective, aren't we?" Michelle mocked. "Afraid that Alex would peep in one of our sessions?"

"Now that you mentioned it, there's absolutely no way you can convince me."

Serena could not manage to utter a word.

"Well, then, I would have to convince her, don't I?" Michelle teased. "Please, have a seat, I'll go into the kitchen and prepare us some tea." She smiled at Serena.

"Not if you don't want to invoke my wrath, you won't," Darien shouted after the woman in slacks who fled to her modern kitchen.

"What's wrong with her painting me?" Serena asked when Michelle was out of earshot.