6: Lunch-In

|Natalie|

The following days I was around the Alpha mansion a little more frequently. Maxwell asked me to come around more, so I could learn a little bit more about the pack. I was not raised here and the only reason I find myself in this pack is because they have one of the best college's on this coast. I know very little, so it was helpful to learn about it from none other than their Alpha.

Today I was invited to a lunch in with Max and the rest of the Royal council. I was to meet him at the mansion and we'll get a ride to the Alpha Palace. As no one knows who the Alpha King is we all must remain discreet. Even though the council knows who it is, the mates don't. Well I'm sure they do too, it's just me who doesn't since I'm not Luna yet.

Dressing in a simple and cute dress I say my goodbyes to Rowan and head to the car waiting out front for me. My luck, paparazzi and media is out front and taking picture and bombarding me with questions. I simply ignore them I get into the back of the black car with tinted windows. As the car rounds around the driveway of the Alpha Mansion Max was already waiting at the door step.

"Hey," he says breathlessly with a smile. "You look beautiful."

"You don't look so bad yourself, either," I chuckle.

He grins and sits back, ordering the chauffeur where to go.

"Are you prepared for this," he asks.

I laugh a little nervously and say, "as ready as I'll ever be. I'm quite nervous to be honest. In a room with all those Alphas' and the King. I don't want to make myself look like a fool."

His one side of his mouth twitches into a smile and he places his hand on top of mine. "You won't. I promise."

"Will other Alpha's be bringing their mates," I ask.

He nods. "Yes, this in an annual lunch in the King holds twice a year."

I rub my sweaty palms on my dress. I was so nervous that I was going to be in the presence of the Alpha King and not know who it is. That is what made me very nervous. I didn't want to say the wrong thing to the wrong Alpha and come off as an asshole.

The palace was beautiful and I was little nervous as we went across the long bridge that one from one mountain cliff to the other.

"Is this stable," I ask sheepishly.

Max laughs richly and tilts his head back. It was music to my ears hearing his deep and husky laugh. "Of course it is! I am always going back and forth on this bridge."

"Why does the King reside in your pack anyways?"

He shrugs. "This is sacred land in a way. This has been the home of the Alpha Palace since the third Alpha King."

"I understand that, but why isn't he Alpha of the pack then?"

"It is kind of like the untied states. The President is the President, but there is a mayor of Washington D.C. Just because he is King doesn't mean he is the Alpha of the pack. My ancestors were here before he decided to build the Palace here. He can't force me off my lands, instead I gave him the protection of my pack."

"He's King. He could've if he wanted to."

He nods. "He could've, but he knew my pack wouldn't listen and he'd have an issue on his hands. He doesn't have the rights to drive an Alpha of his lands because he likes the property. Instead we negotiate and he has my protection and I get to keep my territory."

"Ah, so that is why he doesn't have a pack?"

"Exactly. He doesn't need a pack if he is the King. That is just one more thing to worry about. My troops and warriors are his. I have sworn my allegiance to him."

The Alpha palace is as grand as it is on the outside as it is on the inside. The foyer has a beautiful marbled floor and a carpet down the middle. Along the walls are portraits and other art. The foyer has sky lights and beautiful chandeliers. I have a questioning look on my face looking at the portraits. They look familiar, like previous Alpha's of this pack. Max doesn't seem to notice my questioning looks as he continues to chug forward to the dining room.

I shift uncomfortable noticing Desmond will be joining us. My grip on his hand tightens and he sends me a concerned gaze.

"Is your ex in this room," Max asks, his voice just above a whisper.

"Yes," I reply quickly with a nod.

He nods inwardly and helps me to my seat and sits beside me.

"Before we get started on domestic and foreign issues that are threatening our packs, I'd like to introduce my mate. I just found her a few days ago. Her name is Natalie and she is the niece of Alpha Brandon," Max booms.

I send a smile to everyone and wave shyly in which is in my Uncle's direction. He beams at me and returns the wave. I could sadly see he age was catching up to him. He looked thinner and a little pale and sickly. I knew his time was coming and I was happy to him again. This could possibly be one of our last meetings with one another and it breaks my heart.

The lunch was quite good and between the eight Alphas' they all seem nice, expect for Desmond for obvious reason. Yet, I couldn't pick out or guess who the King was. I truly wanted to know who this mysterious and secretive Alpha King was. I wanted to see him as very little have actually seen him.

During the lunch the Alphas' talked about issues they are facing in their packs. Each having a handful and the other Alphas' offering aid or resolutions to their issues. I actually really liked this little meeting and thought it was a good idea to have everyone meet like this. Each Alpha comes from a different district of werewolf community. Each one representing that district. Although we have two from the same district but it is the Death Alpha and his mate who is the next Moon Goddess. So that spoke for itself why those two were there.

Yet it confused me, Max and Desmond are from the same district, so why are they both here?