Chapter Fifteen: Beneath a Moonless Sky

Loki still hadn't revealed to Patty that Sylvie wasn't her mother. And something she needs in life is her mother's love. But Sylvie doesn't give her any love or enough attention. So, Loki has been the one doing it. And he needs to tell Patty what love is like. 

'Love's a curious thing. It often comes disguised. Look at love the wrong way, it goes unrecognized. So look with your heart and not with your eyes. The heart understands. The heart never lies. Believe what it feels and trust what it shows. Look with your heart. The heart always knows. Love is not always beautiful,' Loki playfully pinched Patty's nose, 'not at the start. So open your arms and close your eyes tight. Look with your heart and when it finds love, your heart will be right.'

'Learn from someone who knows. Make sure you don't forget. Love you misunderstand is love that you'll regret,' Loki hugged Patty as he looks back at all the regret he's gone through just marrying Sylvie.

'Look with your heart and not with your eyes. The heart can't be fooled,' Patty sang

'The heart is too wise,' Loki pulled away from the hug

'Forget what you think.'

'Ignore what you hear.' 

'Look with your heart, it always sees clear,' They said together.

'Love is not always beautiful,' Patty playfully pinched Loki's nose making him laugh, 'not at the start.'

'But open your arms and close your eyes tight. Look with your heart and when it finds love your heart will be right,' Loki said smiling

The two hugged. As they did, the music box started to play by itself. It almost reminded him of the Phantom's music box. How it would just play by itself and no one would touch it. Loki soon told Patty to get ready for bed and he would be in to tuck her into bed in a minute. That minute would last a lot longer than Loki wanted. Because from the balcony, the doors opened to reveal a person he never thought he'd see again. (Y/N)! But he wasn't falling for her tricks again. Loki is still angry that she just abandoned him like that night was some sort of one-night stand. 

'I should have known that you'd be here. I should have known it all along. This whole arrangement bears your stamp. You're in each measure of that song,' Loki said referring to the song on the piano, 'How dare you try and claim me now? How dare you come invade my life?'

'Oh, Loki, my Loki. In that time when the world thought me dead. My Loki, on that night, just before you were wed. Ah, Loki, you came and found where I hid. Don't you deny that you did, that long-ago night,' (Y/N) said

"That night," Loki hated to remember it. 

'Once, there was a night beneath a moonless sky. Too dark to see a thing. Too dark to even try.'

'I stole to your side to tell you I must go. I couldn't see your face but sensed you even so,' Loki and (Y/N) sat down, looking away from each other, 'And I touched you.'
'And I felt you.'

'And I heard those ravishing refrains,' the two said

'The music of your pulse,' Loki said

'The singing in your veins,' (Y/N) said looking at him

'And I held you.'

'And I touched you.'

'And embraced you.'

'And I felt you.'

'And with every breath and every sigh,' they remembered.

'I felt no longer scared,' Loki said looking at her finally

'I felt no longer shy.' (Y/N) said

'At last our feelings bared beneath a moonless sky,' (Y/N) kneeled before him.

'And blind in the dark, as soul gazed into soul,' Loki put a hand on her unmasked cheek, 'I looked into your heart and saw you pure and whole.'

'Cloaked under the night with nothing to suppress,' (Y/N) put a hand over his, 'A woman and a man. No more and yet no less. And I kissed you.'

'And caressed you.'

'And the world around us fell away. We said things in the dark we never dared to say,' they said

'And I caught you,' (Y/N) stood them up

'And I kissed you,' Loki held her close

'And I took you.'

'And caressed you.'

'With a need too urgent to deny,' they said, 'And nothing mattered then except for you and I. Again and then again beneath a moonless sky.'

(Y/N) pulled away, 'And when it was done before the sun could rise, ashamed of what I was, afraid to see your eyes. I stood while you slept and whispered a "goodbye" and slipped into the dark beneath a moonless sky.' she sat down.

'And I loved you,' Loki, at last, confessed, 'Yes, I loved you. I'd have followed anywhere you led. I woke to swear my love and found you gone instead!'

'And I loved you,' (Y/N) took a hold of his torso

'How I loved you.'

'And I left you.'

'How I loved you.'

'And I had to, both of us knew why.'

'We both knew why.'

'And yet I won't regret,' (Y/N) hugged his torso and Loki hugged her, still standing, 'From now until I die. The night I can't forget beneath a moonless sky,' (Y/N) stood up

'And now?' (Y/N) asked

'How can you talk of now?' Loki pulled away, 'For us, there is no now.'

(Y/N) felt hurt hearing that sentence come out of his mouth. So, whatever they had is now gone? Because (Y/N) made some stupid choice? Whatever it was, (Y/N) knew she made a big mistake. They went out onto the balcony.

'Once upon another time, our story had only begun. You chose to turn the page and I made choices, too,' Loki said, 'Once upon that other time, we did what we thought must be done and now, we have no choice. We do what we must do We love, we live, we give what we can give, and take what little we deserve.'

'Once upon another time, I knew how our story would end, and maybe I was wrong but now the moment's gone,' (Y/N) said, 'Were it still that other time, I'd make time itself somehow bend! But now I'm not that strong and time keeps moving on.'

'We love, we live, we give what we can give, and take what little we deserve,' they looked at each other, 'We love, we live, we give what we can give and take what little we deserve. Once upon another time.'