Eclipse

"This is so stupid." I tell Edward as he pulls out a chair for me.

"Yes, well, I supposed that this would be the only way to get you alone."

"Are you serious? You had Alice kidnap me! You know what- I am so over this kidnapping business! Over the past year and a half I have been kidnapped at least four times! That's not fair!"

A very wide-eyed waitress comes from the corner, obviously having overheard the conversation, and asked us about drinks.

"A shirley temple with the cherries on the side please!" I tell her with a smile. Edward orders, and she rushes off.

"A shirley temple, ey?"

"You don't get to tease me. By the way I'm ordering the most expensive thing on the menu." I tell him with a sinister smile.

"Go right ahead." He says with a grin.

"You're a jerk." I tell him, taking a sip of my water.

"Yes I suppose I am." He agrees. I think very morbid things of how I will murder him in my head as the waitress comes back with our drinks.

Once she leaves, Edward empties the drink a nearby plant.

"So, what's going on with this whole old man thing?" I ask him with a twinge of teasing tone, but I'm honestly curious.

"I'm not an old man!" Edward says in defense, putting his hands in the air to help explain how passionate he is.

"Um.. yes you are. Despite this whole looking 17 thing you're still technically 109."

"But-"

"Don't worry, dating older men doesn't bother me too much."

"Y/N! You know the vampire process, correct? Venom goes in, freezes my physical development. The venom still... freezes my brain, leaving my mentality at age 17. Sure, over the years my personality has changed, I've still indured.. er... 109 years of life, but I'm technically still 17."

"That's poetic." I tell him.

"I'd like to think so."

●●●

I close the door to my room, feeling exhausted.

Seth clears his throat, and my head snaps to him.

"Seth!" I say, putting my hand on my heart. "I wasn't expecting you."

"Yeah, uh, I'm sorry about that."

"It's fine." I tell him, putting down a small purse Alice gave me.

"I have to tell you something." He's fidgeting.

"Hit me." I tell him, standing to look at him.

"I love you." He blurts out. Oh. I didn't know I was going to have to deal with this tonight.

"Seth, listen-"

"And I know what you're going to say!"

"Seth, I'm sorry. You're like.. 14."

"13." He says quietly.

"I'm a legal adult. You haven't even phased yet. You don't know what trigonometry is."

"I can learn."

"Seth-"

"I have a feeling! I think you're gonna be my imprint." I don't want to invalidate Seth, or Seth's feelings, so I'm careful not to dismiss him.

"Please don't complicate things."

Seth rises to say something, but he stops himself.

"Okay. You're right. I'm gonna.. um.. I'll go."

"Good night."

"'Night." Damn, I really hope I didn't make him cry.

"So did your date go well?" A velvety voice says from behind me, and for the second time tonight my soul almost leaves my body.

I turn quickly, seeing a tall figure with dark skin and a purple and black suit on.

"Bolte." I say in recognition, and he smiles brightly to see that I have remembered him.

"Yes, Mister Bolte Valentine, at your service!"

"I remember." I tell him, finally allowing myself an inch of relaxation.

"So, your date?" He asks expectantly.

"Well, yes it was Edward. I'm not sure what else to say."

"Mm, I know the feeling. I thought I had totally blown it on me and my boyfriend's first date but.. oh! That's me. We're talking about you."

"We don't have to talk about me." I tell him.

"Oh, yes we do!"

"No, not really. You're from the Denali Coven, right? Tell me about it." I tell him, and despite himself, he beams.

"Well, yes, there's Tanya. She's kind of the.. unspoken president. And then there's Irina, and Laurent, and..."

And I've fallen asleep.

●●●

When I wake, there is a note on my pillow.

Dear Miss Y/N L/N,
I seem to have bored you to sleep. Not to worry- I have to return home anyway. I thank you for your company, and I'm glad that I got to see you before I go back to Denali. And do tell Alice and Rosalie hi for me! God, I love those girls. They're such a riot!

Sincerely,
Mr. B. Valentine

I can't help smiling at how ridiculous the note is, and I'm certainly glad that I've made a new friend.

Unfortunately, however, I have slept through breakfast and it is nearing lunch time.

"Bella?" I call when I leave my room, but she is no where to be seen. I walk down the stairs, and immediately I am met with sounds of laughter and delight.

I rush into the kitchen to find the whole place drenched in flour. Jacob and Bella stand next to each other in the mess, both also covered in flour.

I know I must look exactly how I feel.

"Hey, Y/N! I, uh, came here to see you but you weren't awake yet. And Charlie wasn't here.. and Bella and I came up with a plan to make you pancakes- we know you love pancakes- and then.. uh.." Jacob is using his hands in exaggerated storytelling.

"Then," Bella's voice is still trying to recover from a good laugh, "I got batter on my face- and Jacob tried to wipe it off my face, but he made it worse, and then here we are. Flour everywhere!" She's laughing now.

I stay in silence for a few moments.

"... I hope you aren't mad." Jacob finishes.

I feel a smile creep up on my face. "Well? What are we waiting for? Let's finish these pancakes!"