Chapter 4: Better Than Family

Shawn and I had been hanging out for around a month now, and I treasured our friendship. Of course I wished for something more, but I was grateful just for being in his life. I bit back a smile as he strutted down the hallway, dressed as a girl for their school paper. He was going to get the female perspective on dating, and I wasn't going to lie he actually did look good. He was even fooling the boys at our school.

"What are they all looking at," he whispered to Cory.

"You. You're kind of a babe," his best friend confirmed.

"Hey, you want to go to the mall later, Veronica," I lightly teased, grabbing Shawn's hand as he gave me a look.

"You're just teasing me," he stated.

"Maybe, but I've always wanted a sister. Come on, let's go shopping together."

"Well, alright, but I have to be home in time to get ready for my date tonight. I can't be more than fashionably late."

A giggle escaped my lips as my cheeks turned rosy, us finding ourselves inside of the mall as Shawn sighed.

"I hope no one sees me." He kept glancing around as I led him into my favorite store, Macy's. He made a face as he checked one of the price tags, me already finding a couple of dresses off the rack. "How do you girls afford anything?"

"My parents gave me some money for new clothes. I haven't bought any since the beginning of the school year," I answered. I hid my smile again when I spotted Shawn sitting on a chair as he waited for me to try on outfits, his legs crossed in his skirt. I shook my head before stepping out in a red dress that was casual enough for a night on the town. It was pretty simple with long sleeves and a modest v-neck. Shawn sat up a bit more when he saw me, his mouth opened slightly as he blinked his fake bangs out of his eyes. "Do you think this looks okay?" I felt self-conscious as I smoothed it in the wide mirror before me, spotting his gawking reflection.

"Yeah," he finally responded. "I think you should definitely get that one."

"I don't know... I mean, this skirt is super cute too, and I can't afford to get both."

He licked his lips slightly before saying with a small smile. "I think you should get the dress."

"Well, okay," I shyly agreed, draping it over my arm after changing back into my original jeans and purple, long sleeved shirt. We went up to the register as I paid, us stopping for some yogurt as Shawn sighed softly.

"I really don't want to go on this date tonight. I wish Cory was doing this experiment instead of me." He was studying his white yogurt as he lazily dipped his spoon in it.

"You saw what he looked like," I emphasized, shuddering from the thought.

"Yeah, he did make a pretty ugly girl," Shawn faintly laughed, nodding his head before eating more.

"You should probably touch up your makeup before your date tonight. Your lipstick came all off," I lightly laughed.

"I don't know how to do this stuff. I got it all over my teeth before Topanga helped me," he sighed.

"Here, let's go outside," I suggested, us sitting on a bench as I carefully put fresh, red lipstick on his lips. I couldn't help but admire how plush they were, blushing deeply before I was finished.

"How do I look," Shawn asked, smiling widely as I snorted, looking away from him. "What?" He sounded confused and upset as I finally faced him again.

"Somehow you got it all over your teeth again."

"Well, how do you do it," he annoyedly asked.

"I don't wear much makeup. Only mascara and powder."