Chapter 7: "Will One of Us Get Hurt?"

SHAWN'S POV:

I met up with Cory and Topanga the next day at school, both of them seated on the couch in the hall.

"Hey Shawn," Cory greeted before I interrupted him.

"Kimberly just told me yesterday she likes me."

"I thought you knew. Everyone knew," Cory hesitantly responded.

"Well, I didn't. I had no idea she felt this way about me." I ran my hand through my hair as Topanga finally said something.

"You should go talk to her, Shawn. She called me last night and she was really upset."

"What about me? Maybe I don't want to talk to her," I emphasized, gesturing to myself as they just looked at me.

"She's your best friend, Shawn. Why don't you want to talk to her," Topanga kindly wondered.

I leaned to the side a bit as I looked in the opposite direction before answering. "Because I don't know how I feel about her now. I don't want to hurt her. She's always been there for me, and then I just walked out on her."

"You were upset. I'm sure she understands."

"Yeah, well I'm not sure if I do." I found myself alone after school, successfully avoiding Kimberly the entire day. I just looked down at my hands as I sat on the couch, sensing Cory coming over.

"Hey, Topanga and I are sorry if we were pushing you too hard. We just want you to be happy the way we are. It's like this warm and fuzzy feeling every time I see her, and there are bunnies, lots of bunnies."

I just looked up at him blankly before gazing into space, him taking the spot next to me.

"You can't tell me you've never thought of her in that way. I've seen the way you look at her. It's the same way I used to look at Topanga when we were "just friends."

"I don't know, Cor." My voice had gotten soft as I wrestled with my emotions.

"Just think about it, okay?"

I barely nodded as he finally left me alone, doing something I normally didn't do a lot of, thinking.

KIMBERLY'S POV:

I was confused when I found Shawn throwing out his black book at school, surprised I even ran into him after how much he avoided me yesterday. He stared at me after he lifted his head, my line of sight dropping to my feet.

"Hey," I whispered, but when I looked up again he had run off, shutting himself in a janitor's closet. I hopelessly pressed my hand against the yellow, frosted, square window, leaning my shoulder against the door. "I'm sorry if you hate me now, Shawn. You can forget everything I said if you want. I understand if you're not interested. But before you make up your mind, I just wanted to talk for a bit. I've never felt like I was good enough for anyone or deserving of love. People always told me I should be with that guy because he's short like me, or I should be with that one because we're both quiet, and then when weird guys liked me they acted like I was so lucky. They never acted like I deserved to be with someone neat or kind for that matter. And I guess I started to believe it too. But then you come along, and you're cute, but even if you were ugly, Shawn, you are everything I've ever dreamed of. You're nice, charismatic, you have a good heart, and we just click so well. I guess I just thought one day you might like me back, but it's okay. I've learned that real life isn't a fairytale. But please don't let this life become a nightmare, because having you as a friend is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I can bury my feelings, but I can't get rid of my friendship with you." I stepped back a little when the doorknob turned, Shawn just looking at me as I bated my breath.

"How can you say that I'm good enough for you? I'm the one that's not good enough for anyone. I come from a trailer park and I'm not smart. All I am is cute."

"That's not the way I see things. I really meant everything I said, Shawn."

"Will one of us get hurt," he questioned, pressing his tongue against the inside of his mouth as our eyes met.

"I would never intentionally hurt you, Shawn. You know that."

He looked down as my hope plummeted on our possible relationship. "I'd like to taste your strawberry lip balm," he quietly said.

"Huh?" I froze when he came closer, our faces only inches a part.

"You heard me," he softly reacted.

"What are you waiting for then?" My own voice was barely audible as he tilted his head for us, pressing his lips against mine as I freaked out. They were just as soft and plush as I always dreamed, and it was a shame he was wasting his technique on me, since I was clueless on what to do. My head was spinning though after he parted, unable to meet his eyes as I became incredibly shy.

He licked his lips a little before giving me a sweet smile. "I think that magazine was wrong. I think they should rethink that kiwi mango."

"Well, I think you were wrong, Shawn. You're perfect to me, and nothing could ever change that." All of a sudden he giggled, causing me to smile so wide that I covered my mouth with my hands. "You just giggled," I pointed out.

"Did I?" More giggles escaped him as I stifled my own, my brown eyes sparkling at him.

"I think I just saw a bunny."

"What?" I laughed a little as I gave him a confused expression.

"Never mind. I'm willing to give this a chance if you are."

I grasped his hand, causing him to glance down at it before I tucked one side of his hair behind his ear. "I really like you."

"I really like you too." His constant smiles and giggling was putting me in the best mood, never dreaming that Shawn Hunter would be acting this giddy around me.

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I really loved writing it. <3 Please remember to comment, vote, and follow. Thank you so much! (: