Chapter 29: Taken

I need to go see Bryan's mother. I have to make sure she is alright and I am not sure if I should tell her about her son. Would it be worse to let her wonder where Bryan is or tell the already breaking woman that he died and it was my fault?

Please be careful.

Kaius mindlinks me as I pull away in the car. Several other cars are behind me, each one filled with Kaius's best guards.

Kaius was initially not okay with me leaving the castle so close to the fight with Fenris. However, after I convinced him that both Ryder and 50 of Kaius's men can come with me, he relented. He can't come with me due to the war planning and the people he needs to meet with.

The car ride is silent and awkward with Ryder driving and me sitting in the passenger seat. I look out the window to think of things to say.

"How is Lucy adjusting to being Royal Beta Female?" I finally say.

He shrugs. "She is nervous and second guesses herself all the time. But I think she will be great at it. She is too kind for her own good."

"That or you are just too protective of her."

He chuckles. "I guess that too."

I am glad Ryder has found his mate. He is much more agreeable to converse with and I can see how much they love each other. His eyes are on the road but his mind is elsewhere.

Lucy has been a delight to get to know. She is very innocent but has a young heart and gives the rest of us a fresh set of ideas. She knows a lot more than she shows.

After a while of driving, we arrive at the airport and take Kaius's private jets back home. Ryder, several men and I in one and the rest of the men in a few others.

After a while longer, I am finally checking into the nursing home where Bryan's mom is. I plan to move her closer to the castle so I can keep an eye on her and get to her sooner. My visits will definitely be more frequent to fill in the times Bryan would have come.

Would have. Visits that will never happen again. And I am torn between telling this woman and keeping it from her.

The room is warm and smells of floral perfume as I enter. She is in her usual place by the window, looking at a picture book of birds or watching the cars go by outside the building.

"Hello." I say as I take a seat next to her.

She frowns and she turns her head to me. Nothing is in her eyes, no recognition. She did forget who I was last time.

"Do you remember me?"

She shakes her head but then her eyes wander over to something behind me. I turn and see a vase full of brown flowers that I recognize as dead roses.

I look at her and see that she has returned to looking out the window. With a sigh, I stand up and head over to the roses, picking up the vase to throw them away.

"What are you doing?"

I turn to her and hold up the roses. "I'm throwing them out. They are long dead."

She shakes her head quickly and suddenly. "No, no. Don't take his flowers."

I frown and slowly set the roses back on the dresser. "Him? Bryan?"

She frowns and looks to her hands. "I don't remember his name but if you throw those away, he will be gone for good."

"Ma'am, I'm sorry but Bryan isn't coming back."

She shakes her head. "No, miss. I know he isn't."

I approach her and sit next to her again. "Did somebody tell you?"