Chapter 24

Dalaj is standing outside the room, looking through the glass, Aabirah connected to the machines.

Doctor Dawud walks to him, patting him on the shoulder.

"How is she?" Dalaj ask.

"You don't need to worry, she is great… she will wake up soon," 

"It is unfortunate that after she wakes up, I have to be separated from her again. Dawud, Aabirah is my better half," 

"It will hurt her the same too, but if you think it will be the best for her, do it," 

"I hope she forgives me." 

"I am sure she will forgive you for your decision," 

Fayyad walks to them. "Assalamu Alaykum," Fayyad says shaking hands with Doctor Dawud. 

"Wa'alaykum Salaam," Doctor Dawud replies. "I will leave now," 

"I have started preparing her room at home," Fayyad chuckles looking at Aabirah. "I hope she wakes up soon, to tell you the truth, I don't like seeing Aabirah connected to the machines," 

"All I want is for her to wake up, so I can apologize to her," Dalaj says, tears flowing from his eyes.

Fayyad faces Dalaj. "Don’t blame yourself, it is not your fault. I know you love my sister a lot, it is also very painful for you to send her home away from you in these difficult circumstances…," 

Dalaj sigh. "I do not want Aabirah to know the real reason she will be going home. I mean with the doctor saying that there is a possibility her legs is going to have a problem after she wakes up, I do not want her to worry about anything else, but her health, but if she knows what happened, she will do anything and it is going to affect her," 

"I know Dalaj and you are right, I hope it doesn't take long for her to stay home, she belongs in her home, with you. But you are right to take her home, she will be much-taken care of there and I know my sister and how stubborn she is," Fayyad says. 

Dalaj wipes his tears. "I want her home with me too," 

***

Dalaj walks inside the recovery room, wearing a surgery cloth. He sits on the bed, staring at Aabirah with sadness, he holds her hand. 

"Aabi…," He kisses her hand, he leans on his forehead on her hand, tears flowing from his eyes.

Flashback

Aabirah walks downstairs with a long dress and a hijab roll around her face, a smile on her face. Some stones lead to the garden door, she follows it. She opens the door of the garden and walks in.

The sun washes the garden with a golden glow on the different beautiful flowers. Aabirah looks around with admiration, the colors of the flowers make the garden look more beautiful.
The garden has grass all over the area.

On the other side, it has a soft ground with a playground where children can play, there are Swings, Slides, Merry-Go-Round.

She walks ahead with a smile and sees a duck pond with ducks, she walks towards it as an insect fly all over her.

She removes her hijab, waving it all around. "Shoo... Shoo,". She falls backwards, a man catches her and helps her get back on her feet.

She faces him, as she sees a handsome man, looking into her eyes. Her subconscious kicks in as she moves her eyes away wearing her hijab.

"I am sorry," she apologizes.

He smiles. "Don't worry, I never know someone can be afraid of a moth?"

"A moth?"

"Yeah, what you were driving away is a moth," He replies, pointing at a moth landing on a flower.

"I thought it was an insect you know like a cockroach, or a spider... something like that," she says.

He laughs.

She smiles, admiring him.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

"Why are you asking?"

"Because I have never seen you before and I live downstairs... I am Dalaj Aman,"

"You have to be my brother-in-law's brother,"

"Brother-in-law? You must be Safwa's bubbly sister? I think I have seen you before,"

Aabirah chuckle. "I am. my name is Aabirah,"

"Nice to finally meet you Aabirah. Safwa talks about you a lot,"

Aabirah smile.

"So, what brings you here?" Dalaj ask.

"Brother-in-law recommend that I spend my time here. When I walked in, I don't think I noticed you,"

"I followed you, because...,"

"So, you think I am a thief," Aabirah asks.

"of course not... I just never saw you before... I am sorry,"

"Why are you apologizing?"

Dalaj is about to say something,

Aabirah laugh."Forget about it. Nice meeting you, Dalaj,"

Dalaj smile. "Nice meeting you too,"

"I am sure you'll enjoy spending time here. I have to go," Dalaj

"Okay...," Aabirah says.

"Will I be able to see you again?" Dalaj ask.

"I don't like staying in one place,"

Dalaj laughs, walking away towards the door.

Aabirah smile, looking at him as he walks out.

Flashback end.

"Will I be able to see you again?"

Aabirah opens her eyes.