02. not a date

PARKER

"Took you long enough, get your ass in here I want to start drinking," I hear Connor say, pulling me out of my conversation with Brooks. Looking over, I see Ellie walk in the front door, Dakota just behind her.

Holy fuck.

Dakota's shorts make her tan legs appear to go on forever, and her cropped tank top shows off her toned stomach. Her long, wavy brown hair falls is pushed behind her ears, allowing me to have an unobstructed view of her delicate facial features.

As Connor and Brooks step forward to hug the girls, I stay back, opting to stick with a friendly wave instead. Before we can even move away from the entryway, another guy steps between Ellie and Brooks, shooting him a nasty look.

"Josh?" Ellie gives the guy a questioning look, "I thought you were hanging with the tennis guys tonight."

Josh looks back at us once more before turning back to Ellie, "I'm not sitting at home while my girlfriend is hanging around horny assholes."

Dakota speaks up, "Josh do you find joy in ruining our nights, or are you just feeling extra dickish today?"

"Guys, please," Ellie looks between the two of them, slightly frazzled. "Josh, can we go talk somewhere please?" Her words sound pointed, almost as if there's a hidden meaning behind it. He gives a rough nod. "Dakota, I'll probably just see you at home tomorrow."

Josh tightly grips Ellie's hand, not giving Dakota time to respond before pulling her away.

"I need a shot," Dakota groans, rubbing her temples as she heads towards the kitchen. Connor, Brooks, and I look to each other before following closely behind her.

In the next five minutes, Dakota convinces us to take two shots with her, before Brooks says he has a beer pong table saved for us downstairs.

I walk closely behind Dakota, making sure she doesn't get separated from us. When we reach the table, Brooks slings an arm around my shoulder and pulls me to one side with him.

"I hope you're ready to lose Parker, I haven't lost a game in 3 years," Dakota says, flashing me a bright smile, now loosened up a bit.

"Sorry to break it to you, princess, but you're looking at last year's Wisconsin University beer pong champion," I say smirking as I throw my first ball, landing perfectly in the cup directly in front of her.

"I'll respect it, but if I win, you're getting me another drink," she responds, shooting and landing her ball into one of our cups.

"Game on, then," I laugh.

~

Thirty minutes later, Dakota and Connor turn to each other, high-fiving after their second straight win.

"Let's go pretty boy," she says, waving me over, "you owe me a drink."

As I go to follow her, Connor sets a hand on my shoulder. "Brooks and I are gonna stay back and play a few more with those girls over there," he points at the two blondes watching us from the corner, "just keep an eye on Kota for me, will you?"

Nodding at him, I rush to an impatient-looking Dakota, who grabs my tattooed arm and starts pushing us through the crowd. Once we reach the bar, I whip her up a Blue Lagoon while she pours us both two more shots each. I quickly drink them, realizing I'm a little past tipsy now.

"Wanna go out back?" Dakota asks with glassy eyes.

"Yeah let's do it. It's getting a little intense in here."