37. twenty-two

DAKOTA

This morning, I woke up in the same place that I've been for the last two days—my bed and Parker's strong arms.

He wasn't joking when he said that he wouldn't be leaving my side until he absolutely has to. I'm placed on the counter while he cooks, he showers when I shower, he always has the sudden urge to wash his hands when I have to use the bathroom, and when our friends pop over, there's 'only room for everyone on the couch if I sit in his lap.'

I think he's also happy to have an excuse to watch a bunch of Marvel movies.

Now, I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining, but I also haven't had much time to think, which is why I'm grateful that I've woken up before him this morning. Today, I'm twenty-two, and timing happens to be both great and absolute shit, all things considered.

My dad is staying in a hotel not far away after landing late last night, and we're all going to hang out at the guys' house in a little bit. Ellie doesn't know, but we'll also be celebrating her vet school acceptance since I'm the world's most selfish person and had to end up in the hospital during her original celebration.

I can tell all of the guys feel guilty about what happened, especially the green-eyed boy snoozing on my chest right now. I wish I could take it all away, but he has to forgive himself, my words of reassurance won't do much of anything until he does.

No matter how many times I tell him, he refuses to believe that he's the reason I'm safe. If he hadn't texted Austin when he did, who knows what could have happened.

Speaking of Austin, I'm glad he was with us the other night. It was fun to catch up with him again, being that we used to be super close, so I texted him last night and invited him to come over today and hang out.

I'm lost in thought when I feel wet kisses being pressed against my shirt.

"Happy birthday, my girl," Parker smiles lazily up at me, waking up the butterflies in my stomach.

I run my fingers through his thick, messy hair, loving how it feels. "Thank you, baby."

His eyes flutter closed, and he squeezes me tighter. "I love you."

That's another thing. He's been telling me that a million times a day, like it would physically pain him to hold it in.

"I love you too, Park."

"Are you excited for today?" His voice is scratchy.

Using my thumb, I pry open his eyelid, making myself laugh when he tries to close it again. "Yeah, I'm obviously excited for my dad to be here, we haven't spent a birthday together since I was in high school. I'm also looking forward to seeing Birk, I taught him how to play dead last week."

"You would," he smiles brightly, propping his body up so that he's hovering over me. "Let's take a shower," he leans down to kiss me, "you fuckin stink."

I can't stop laughing when he picks me up, throwing me over his shoulder as he walks us to the bathroom.

~

As we walk up to the front door of the boys' house, Ellie's arm is tightly linked with mine, and Parker has a hand resting lightly on my lower back.