46. epilogue

DAKOTA

FIVE AND A HALF YEARS LATER

When I hear the ringing of a bell, I can not stop the smile that overtakes my entire face. It is well past dinner time and all of my employees have gone home for the day, meaning it can only be one person.

"Get your cute ass out here, love!"

Nights like these are my all-time favorite.

Whenever Parker is home and does not have a game, or if the team flies back late, he always comes to pick me up at the bakery. My hours are much shorter now, but I still like to be here when the team is prepping for the next day. The bakery is still on broadway street, but we bought the neighboring business last year, allowing us to expand our physical size.

After Parker and I got married three years ago, I reluctantly allowed him to help me financially support Sweet Exchange. His help allowed me to hire a full staff at this location, and eventually we opened three more in Tampa, Denver, and Raleigh.

Not only is business now booming, but we always have an excuse to visit our favorite people.

Ellie moved to Nashville after school, and shares a small townhome with her fiance, Matt. I selfishly love having her so close because we go to every one of Parker's home games together, just like we did in college.

Both Brooks and Connor are married, Brooks met a girl his first year in Tampa, and Connor shocked us all when he eloped in Vegas last year. He and his wife, Sarah, had been dating for a few years and did not want to wait any longer. They're now expecting a little girl, due towards the end of summer break.

"Kota," Parker calls for me again, reminding me that he is here.

I quickly clean up the rest of my mess and rip off my apron, hanging it by the door leading to the front. The second I come into view, the German Shepard puppy at his feet begins barking and pulling at the leash to reach me.

Bending down, I greet him immediately, much to my husband's dismay.

"So this is it? I buy you a dog and you forget about me?"

Rolling my eyes, I stand and press my lips to his waiting ones. "You should've known what you were getting yourself into."

He wraps his free arm around my waist, hauling my closer as he presses a kiss to my forehead. "As long as he does his job, I can deal with it."

Cooper was a gift from Parker after we moved into our new home. Compared to when we were in our apartment, I am now truly alone when he is on the road, which did not sit well with either of us for different reasons.

It was hard for me when he was on long trips, coming home to an empty house night after night. Parker loathed the idea of me not having anyone around at night, since the houses in our neighborhood are placed pretty far apart from one another.

His training so far has been basic, but he will be gone all summer for his in-depth training while Parker is home for break.

"Let's get out of here," I smile at Parker.

He grabs my left hand, rubbing my wedding band and engagement ring momentarially as he moves us all towards the door.

~