0.4 cookies & bedazzled jerseys

DAKOTA

"Come on, you know you wanna let me lick the bowl."

"El, get your nasty ass mouth away from my batter," I swat her head away.

"Why not? We're supposed to be best friends," she whines dramatically.

Looking over at Ellie, I can't stop from busting out into a laugh at her begging eyes. It's been a few days since the party, and the boys are back from their road trip. As a congratulations for their multiple wins, I decided to make them my blueberry muffins.

"I can get another whole muffin out of what's left. Can we settle on the spatula?" Her eyes widen as she nods eagerly, reaching out with grabby hands.

"So," she says, still licking the spatula. "You weren't with Connor and Brooks when I left the party on Friday."

"Is that a question or a statement?"

"You know who else wasn't there?" She ignores my words, "a certain tall, muscular, handsome hockey player," she says with a full-blown grin.

"That's because we were outside talking. Just talking, nothing else," I look at her sternly.

"I'm gonna pretend to believe you because I'm a nice person, but just know I'm lying. I know Connor says he's your best friend, but we all know it's actually me because I can see right through your shit." She points the spatula at me as if it's a wand.

I chuckle at her antics, "I'm not lying, we really just talked that night." After a brief pause, I mumble out, "we also may have sent a few texts back and forth while they've been gone."

"I knew it!" She screams, "you never make muffins unless you're trying to impress a guy."

My jaw drops, "that's such a lie."

"Nope nope nope," Ellie says pointedly. "The last time you made muffins was sophomore year when you had that really hot economics tutor."

"Get out of my kitchen."

Ellie is practically in tears, snort-laughing as she walks out of the room.

~

Walking up to the door of the hockey house, I tuck the box of muffins under my arm as I ring the bell. The door opens a few moments later, and I find myself staring straight into Parker's naked chest.

My eyes flicker between his six-pack and tattooed arm, unable to decide which one to settle on. A few moments later, I hear a muffled chuckle that breaks me out of my trance. "Hey, hi, good morning," I rush out, "I brought the muffins."

Parker simply looks at me, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Fuck. Now I'm looking at his lips.

"Come in." he steps back, opening the door wider, "Connor and Brooks got stuck at the rink, so it's just me, but I've been looking forward to these all morning." He says, referring to our texts.

I nod, giving him a tight-lipped smile before stepping in and walking towards the couch.

"I'll be right back, do you want anything to drink?"

"Just water, please," I respond, my voice hoarse.

The second Parker disappears out of sight, I let out a shaky breath. You barely know the guy, keep it together Dakota.

Parker returns after a few moments, drinks in hand, now wearing a hoodie. Damn it.

Setting our cups down, he sits close to me on the couch, the outside of our thighs pressed against each other.