09. slap shot

DAKOTA

As we walk into the arena, my heart starts to beat a little bit faster and I go quiet, nerves creeping in. I'm about to embarrass the shit out of myself in front of the guy I'm coming to really like.

Parker gives my hand a light squeeze, sensing my sudden change in demeanor. "Nothing to be worried about, Kota. I'm the best skating teacher around," he adds with a joking smile.

"I don't think you understand, Parker, I really suck at this." I can't help but awkwardly laugh.

"Not after today, you won't." He gives me a look, quickly pulling on and lacing his skates before coming over to help me with mine. "Damn, Connor must really love you, these are nice ass skates," he says, studying them.

"He only got them for me after I claimed the rentals were the reason I couldn't get the hang of it." I smile at the memory.

Watching Parker's fingers make quick work of lacing up my skates has to be one of the most attractive things I've seen in my twenty-one years.

He steps onto the ice first, holding both hands out to me which I gladly take for multiple reasons. I don't even get my second foot on the ice before I start going down. Parker's reflexes are quick, his arms wrapping around my waist and keeping me from busting ass.

He looks at me, trying to keep a straight face but fails miserably, bursting into laughter. I can't help but join in right after. "Looks like we're really going back to basics today," he barely gets out.

"Told you." I keep laughing as Parker adjusts us so that he's behind me, arms still wrapped around my waist as he skates us into the center of the ice.

He has me press the outside of my skates to the inside of his, keeping them together as we move around so I can get a feel for the correct stride.

After about thirty minutes, I'm finally to the point where I can stay on my feet, moving as he holds my hands while skating backward in front of me.

"Have you ever gotten this far with Connor or Brooks?" He asks as we continue moving.

I finally pull my eyes from the ice before responding, "not even close. They both pulled me to the middle of the ice and then gave me a push before skating away," I laugh. "Something about it being like teaching a kid to ride a bike."

Parker chuckles, "so what you're saying is that I'm the better teacher?"

Knowing the answer he's looking for, I roll my eyes. "Yes, Parker Cadell, you're the best skating teacher I've ever had."

He silently cheers, releasing one of my hands and pumping his fist into the air as I look at him in amusement.

"With that, I think you're ready to try it on your own." My eyes widen at his words. He stops us, placing his hands on my shoulders in a true Coach-like gesture. "You're gonna skate from one wall to the other, and you're gonna do it flawlessly because as someone once told me, I'm the best skating teacher in the world."

"I don't think that's what I said," I giggle.

"Nope, it definitely is. Now get moving, Lowen." He lightly pats my arm before heading to the opposite side of the rink, a short distance away.

I put on my best game face, because fake confidence fixes everything, and push myself forward. I wobble about halfway to Parker, who rushes towards me, ready to grab me before I hit the ice. I hold up a hand, signaling him to stay there as I right myself, slowly skating the rest of the way.

The second my hand touches the wall, Parker wraps his arms around my waist, lifting me in the air and skating us in circles while cheering. After a few seconds, he stops and nuzzles his head into my neck. "Told you I'd turn you into a D1 athlete," his words make me smile.