08. breakups and new beginnings

DAKOTA

It's Friday night and I've never been so nervous for a date. Now that I think of it I don't think I've ever actually been nervous for one. Something feels different with Parker, from the second we met two weeks ago, I immediately found comfort in his presence.

While I'm finishing applying self-tanner, Ellie pops her head around the doorframe. "Hey, can I talk to you about Josh for a sec? I know you have your date today, I just need to get this off my chest," she looks a little pale.

"Of course, yeah, what's up?"

"I think I need to break up with him," she pauses before continuing. "He tried to tell me I'm not allowed to hang out with you and the guys anymore."

"I think that's probably a good idea, El. He doesn't respect you and you deserve so much more than that jackass," my words come out calm, but I'm mentally cheering.

"It's just... there's something else I need to tell you," she lets out a shaky breath.

I place my hand over the top of hers, "you can tell me anything El. You don't have to tell me now if you're not ready."

"He's been saying stuff about you," she pauses. "The night of the home opener, he told me the next time he was around you without the guys, he'd 'take care of our problem.' He was going to actually hurt you, Kota," tears well in her eyes as she looks into mine.

I pull Ellie into my arms, trying to hold my tears back. She's my best friend, I should have noticed her worry. I should've questioned her why she left that night without saying goodbye. We always check in with eachother before leaving parties, we never do it through the guys.

"El, do you really think the guys would ever let that happen? Hell, Connor doesn't even like leaving you alone at parties, especially if you're there with Josh."

"He really doesn't, does he?" Her cries calm down as she chokes out a slight laugh.

I nod, pulling her to my bed. "Sit, we're having a sleepover tonight. I'll go grab popcorn and you pick a movie."

"I love you, Kota," she looks at me as I walk out of the room.

"I love you more, El."

~

The next morning, I wash off the self-tanner while Ellie sets up my makeup and curling iron. Halfway through my makeup, my phone pings from the desk.

Parker: Goodmorning, don't eat breakfast

Parker:  I'm really excited to see you

I show Ellie the text, and we both sigh happily. "He's so cute, Kota. I'll take him if you decide to pass," she says with a laugh.

Me: You may change your mind once you see me on the ice

Parker: I could never ;)

I set my phone back down, smiling at my best friend in the mirror. Ellie finishes my hair, letting it fall in loose curls. Realizing the time, I quickly head to my closet and pick out a cropped green sweater, ripped jeans, and white high-topped converse. I grab my skates from under the bed, courtesy of Connor for my 17th birthday, and head to the living room.

"Wait! I need to take a picture for Brooks," Ellie ushers me towards a plain white wall. I know better than to argue with her on this, so I quickly smile, letting her take as many pictures as she desires.

I feel like a kid on their first day of kindergarten.

When someone knocks on the door, Ellie and I look at eachother, neither of us moving to answer it. A minute later, the bell rings, finally snapping us out of our staring contest.