22. invincible

DAKOTA

Parker: impossible

I can't stop the smile that overtakes my face, swooning over my boyfriend, but I pull myself back together quickly, remembering what tonight is.

Yesterday, I stayed over at the house with Parker, wanting to sleep in the same bed after being apart for a short period of time. Yes, he travels for hockey, but he's never been gone for more than four nights, so it was new for us.

As much as I missed him, I also missed my best girl. She Facetimed me with Nate a few times, but we couldn't dive into all the dirty details since he was listening in.

So tonight is girl's night. So far, we've watched 10 Things I Hate About You, and El whipped up some strong margaritas.

"Fuck, marry, kill?" She turns to me.

"Hit me."

"Heath Ledger, Sebastian Stan, Timothee Chalamet," she smirks, knowing this one will kill me.

My head falls back, hitting the couch as I groan. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Don't think about it, just go with your gut."

"Okay," I pause for a moment, "fuck Heath, marry Sebastian, kill Timothee."

Ellie laughs, already knowing exactly what I'd say, and turns her attention back to the screen where Crazy Rich Asians is playing. We both watch closely as the wedding scene begins, tearing up slightly.

I know it's cliche, but I've been dreaming up my future wedding since I was little, and I already know exactly what I'd want it to look like down to the smallest detail. Being a hopeless romantic has its pros and cons.

I want to walk down the aisle to a piano version of J's Lullaby, by Delaney Bailey, and have my first dance to Now That I know you, by Julian.

Sure, my husband can have a say, but I'll get the final call. He can pick the food.

Right as the movie is ending, my phone buzzes on the table, and I sneakily grab it before Ellie notices I'm breaking her 'no phones' rule for tonight. My brows furrow seeing a text from an unknown number, not Parker being his usual incessant self.

My heart drops through my ass when the picture pulls up and I see my boyfriend leaning on a wall, beer in hand as a tall blonde holds his bicep leaning in close. He's wearing a hat that blocks my view of his eyes, but it doesn't hide the fact that his face is very close to hers.

He wouldn't cheat on me, I'm sure of that, but I can't ignore the sudden wave of nausea coming over me. Just as I go to text him, my phone is plucked from my fingers, a disapproving Ellie staring down at me.

She clicks her tongue, "this is mine for the rest of the night." I say nothing, watching as she turns my phone off and puts it on the end table.

I'll text him tomorrow.

~

"Fucking shit," I whisper to myself, walking out of my lecture that I was late for this morning. Nothing is more embarrassing than walking into a full lecture hall after class has begun.

I forgot to set my alarm clock, so I just threw on sweats and started running the second I woke up. I haven't even turned on my phone, too worried about getting across campus, and I didn't even have time to text Connor when I realized he wasn't there.

I get no further than one hundred feet when I hear my name. "Dakota, fuck. Wait!"

My head whips around, and I see an out-of-breath Brooks headed straight for me. "Hey, why were you running? Are you okay?"