XI

☆☆☆

BLIND

You didn't want to acknowledge how much Mr Kruger was affecting you. You always knew from day one that this wouldn't be easy... but you never thought you'd let it become this strenuous. You splash some cold water onto your face, the faucet running into the sink. You sigh, closing your eyes while leaning on the basin.

Get a grip.

You turn the faucet off, raking your wet hands through your hair to add the streaks you like then use the towel to wipe off any excess water.

You needed a break. You needed to forget about this for a bit. Forget about Mr Kruger.

"Ready?" A deep voice asked behind you as you left the front door of your home. You yelped in your spot, turning around to see Reiner leaning against the wall. He wore his normal Honorary Marleyan uniform. Even on days off he still seemed to be working. It meant even more that he would hang out with you despite his busy schedule.

"Do you want me to have a heart attack?" You feigned being hurt. Reiner chuckled, pushing himself off the wall and following to walk with you. His strides as always needed to compensate for your lack of height.

"After what you pulled back at the hospital, I thought about it." He played along. Your previous stress was completely out of your system now as you conversed with him. You loved hanging out with Reiner. This side of Reiner. Where his expression wasn't always so creased with concern or fear. You could never imagine coping with the amount of pain and guilt he had to endure but glad to see he had his moments of serenity. Ever since coming back from Paradis, Reiner looked like he lost a part of himself back there. For weeks he didn't say anything to anybody. It took a lot of persistence just to get a word out of him for you. So him acting so much more comfortable and carefree warmed your heart.

"I missed you, big guy." You nudged him with your elbow, looking at him proudly as he winced in fake pain, holding his side.

"Ouch, I don't want to break in half." He joked. It was funny because he was like double your size.

The sun was bright and warm today. A few clouds littered the blue sky. It was breathtaking as usual. It seldom gets old. You spend so much of your time in the hospital you sometimes forget how nice it is outside. The few times that you did you'd always relish in it.

You were both on your way to the port where the kids were. They usually hung out there after their training. It's been ages since you saw all of them, and you felt excited.

"How's work?" Reiner started some small talk. You hummed in delight at the casual essence you felt.

"The usual. Actually, not so usual. A few weeks ago you know we had this group of war veterans come in. I've been in charge of a few and one is most peculiar, but oddly enough great to talk to."