X

☆☆☆

​​A CLOSE CALL

You walked through your hospital, searching for the one and only patient you had

You walked through your hospital, searching for the one and only patient you had. How in the world could you not find him? He was one person, you thought as you let your frustration out through your footsteps.

You had checked outside, his room, the cafeteria. Almost every place Mr Kruger goes to frequently but he was nowhere. Eventually, in the spur of your speeding, you caught a glimpse of long hair and a walking stick past the small library doors. You skid to a stop and backtrack to the door where you find Mr Kruger deep in a book. You sighed, walking up to him now as he turned the page. The sound of your clanking keys causes him to look up and take note of your presence.

"I had been looking for you Mr. Kruger."

"Sorry." He says, putting the book down and leaning back from it. You lean on the back of a chair with your palm, nodding to the book on the table.

"What were you reading?" You ask politely, instead of telling you he shows you the cover page for you to see yourself. Taking this as him just not liking to speak if not needed you read over your language sprawled across the front.

"The restorationists huh? Interesting choice. I'm surprised they even allowed a book to be made about such things." You say, not getting any opinion from Mr Kruger.

"It's time for your final check-up of the day, we should start before it gets too late."

"Can I take this book?" He asks. Holding it up. You smile apologetically while shaking your head.

"Others have taken advantage of getting access to books in their rooms, so it was banned." You explained. You didn't like to sugarcoat things with patients, it sometimes made them feel even more caged and suppressed. If they lashed out or reacted hysterically with what you were saying you'd have to take the backlash. But it's actually a very good remedy to help people recover. Allow them to reattach to their emotions and get over their traumas.

Mr Kruger understood, placing the book back down on the table before following you.

You get to his room, opening the curtains to let the afternoon sun in. It was quite hot outside so you could feel the warmth the sun gave off. Kissed by the sun as people liked to say.

"Please have a seat for me, Mr. Kruger, I'm going to be changing the patch on your cheek today." You said, so busy with your items in your medical bag, you didn't notice Mr Kruger's demeanor stiffen at your statement. Before you could see it, as you looked up with a new patch and alcohol in your hands, he pretended to be indifferent towards your words and waited patiently for you to start.

You took a seat in front of him, dabbed your new patch with some purified alcohol, and layed it down on your side tray. You put your medical gloves on as well as a mask that didn't do your already messy bun justice and began to remove Mr Krugers patch. For some reason, his unmoving eyes on your own made you feel slightly uneasy. Probably because of how things ended yesterday, but you couldn't let that affect your daily tasks. Unbeknownst to you, he was waiting for the moment to strike. The moment you would notice how there was not even a single scar underneath his patch.