IX

☆☆☆

A CHILD'S MIND

"Good morning, Mr Kruger."

The day usually began like this. You greet Mr. Kruger fondly, opening his curtains and doing his daily check-up before heading to the cafeteria. There, he would have his breakfast then attend physical therapy if needed. Have his lunch, his second check-up and so on so forth. You were there for it all.

One would think having so many opportune moments with the man would allow you to truly get to the bottom of his nature, but if only it were that simple. Family members would be able to solve their relative's mental state if that were the case, but alas, it is not. After enough time, you only have so much to talk about, to ask, to figure out before the said person feels too suffocated. It is safe to say that you have already reached that line with Mr Kruger after day 2. You haven't gotten any new emotion or information from him since he told you about his mother's name. It's been so long, even that feels like a fever dream, but you couldn't let it deter you. No matter how hard your very own superior made it be.

The day had passed, and you had been walking Mr Kruger outside for his daily fresh air. The silence between you both has become something of a frequent nature, which you couldn't detest more than you do now. You're about to leave him on his regular bench, but something you had forgotten about being amid Mr Kruger and all came running through the hospital gates. A few kids related to some of the patients inside began to file in. Their cheery springs of laughter and echoes of excitement wafted the air. It had stopped you and Mr Kruger in your tracks.

"Oh my, I had forgotten about them." You chuckled. "They're children related to some of the patients inside. They don't get to visit often due to the strict regulations of visiting hours, but when they do, it's always very refreshing to see their young minds." You explained, knowing he must have had his inquisitive thoughts. As you were about to direct him to his bench again, a familiar girl about 5 or so caught sight of you and immediately ran your way. It was little Rosy, a grandchild of Miss Meyer, the elderly Marleyan woman inside.

You bent down to take her into your arms, a bright smile on your lips as you caught her and lifted her onto your hip to give you a big neck hug.

"Hey Rosy! How's my girl doing?" You asked playfully, dropping her down and up as she burst into fits of giggles. She was about to answer when she noticed Mr Krugers' stoic expression beside you. Catching on quickly, you turned to him so you could introduce them.

"Don't be shy Rosy this is Mr Kruger, a friend." You explained. She was hesitant at first but brought her hand up to give him a small wave. You'd be lying if you said you didn't catch the glimpse Mr Kruger gave to her clear Marleyan armband. Nonetheless, he returned the wave before she wiggled to get down and ran back to her relative.

"She's Marleyan." He confirmed.

"That she is."

"They just come inside Liberio?" He asked. You chuckled, giving him a raised brow as you both continued your way to his bench.