Chapter 14: Little talks

 Elizabeth's POV I gaze out at the tree in the moss-covered forest as Edward drives me to school

Elizabeth's POV
I gaze out at the tree in the moss-covered forest as Edward drives me to school.

"How long have you been like this?" I suddenly ask, and Edward answers "Since nineteen-eighteen. That's when Carlisle found me" and I curiously ask "Where'd he find you?" "In a hospital, dying of Spanish influenza. My parents had already died" I flinch at the thought of him dying before I'm sucked into his flashback.

"What was it like?" My voice seems to echo as I watch the scenes play out before me "The word excruciating comes to mind. But what Carlisle did was much harder... not many of us have the restraint to do that" Edward replies "Didn't he just... bite?" I asked confused "Not just. Our bite contains venom, and once we taste blood, a sort of...frenzy begins. It's almost impossible to stop" he explains patiently "But Carlisle did" I point out and Edward agrees "First with me, then with his wife, Esme. He found her in a hospital, as well. The others followed."

I'm brought back from the past. I hesitantly ask "Does someone have to be dying to become like you?" "... No, that's just Carlisle. He would never do... this, to someone who had another choice" Edward says glancing at me. I let out a slight sigh at that relieved knowing that they won't immediately turn me.

"So Carlisle's the reason why you hunt animals, instead of people?" I ask, Edward shakes his head and says "Not the only reason" He stops, looks over at me, serious, with emotion "I don't want to be a monster" I nod understandingly and he smiles.

"We call ourselves vegetarians, by the way... For our kind, hunting animals is like living on tofu. It keeps you strong but isn't very satisfying" Edward volunteers information now "Can they all read minds, too?" I ask and Edward shakes his head as he says "No, that's unique to me. But Alice can see the future" I blink then smirk "Really? Bet she saw me coming a mile away..." "Her visions are very subjective. The future can change" he explains before he cuts off my questions as we arrived at school.

We both exit and walk out.