Chapter 21: Hospitals and Prom

Elizabeth's POV Death is peaceful

Elizabeth's POV
Death is peaceful. Easy.

I start to float away... I'm losing myself... Suddenly from the darkness, Edward reaches out a hand. A brilliant light flares. My eyes are closed. But they slowly open. I squint at the light.

Life... is harder..

An oxygen tube rests under my nose. I reach for it, confused. A hand stops me as my surroundings come into focus. I hear my mother say "You're awake, baby! You're okay!!!" I'm lying in a hospital bed. Covered in bandages. In bad shape. Renee hovers over me, tears in her eyes. On the dresser, I see get well cards and a photo montage of my friends from Forks.

"Edward? Where's -?!" I start but Renee shushes me "He's asleep" She nods across the room to a chair in which Edward is 'sleeping' "He never leaves. And Charlie's down in the cafeteria. Bella's in another room..." "What... what happened?" I asked "Baby, don't you remember? You and Bella got into a fight. You both fell down two flights of stairs and through a window" my eyes widened as memories flood me. I quickly play along "Mom...I'm so sorry. Everything just got so out of hand, I don't even remember what we were even fighting about."

Renee glanced over at Edward and says "I can take a guess....she's always been jealous of you and the things you have" I slowly nodded and said "Edward and the Cullens pretty much adopted me...Edward's like the twin brother I never had. Isabella has a crush on him, and he's repeatedly said that he doesn't feel the same" She nods then her cell phone beeps. She opens it. Reads a text, starts typing in a reply.

"It's Phil. He's worried about you" she says "I told him to stay in Florida. The Suns signed him!" I smiled and said "That's great mom!" "Jacksonville is always sunny and you'll have your own bathroom.." she starts but I frowned and said "Mom, wait. I want to live in Forks...." Renee frowns and I explain "I have friends there.... I have a family there. Forks is my home, and I don't want to leave it" Renee looks back at Edward again "And he's there...." I shrug, conceding the truth.

"Charlie doesn't like him. Blames him for you and Bella's fight and this accident" she comments, I give her a look and asks "What do you think?" Renee leans forward and whispers " I think that boy is in love with you" I can't help but giggle and say "Not in that way, trust me" Renee frowns and asks "Well how do you know?"