Chapter 30: Betrayal never comes from enemies

3rd POV
Jake and Sam are in a barn, trying to break some of the iron bars off one of the machines. Jake, however, grabs one of the bars and rips it off with his bare hands. Sam stares at him, stunned.

"I'm not Superman or anything. It's no big deal" Jake says "You were in Afghanistan when this started?" Sam asks "Yeah, I started getting headaches. And then there was this accident. This guy flipped his vehicle on a bad road. He got pinned underneath. I lifted it off him like it was nothing. Everybody said it was a fluke adrenaline thing" Jake explains "But then you did it again, right?" Sam asks.

"Bench-pressed 800 pounds, stone-cold calm. I never told anybody, of course. It was just too crazy" Jake nods "Yeah. Crazy's relative" Sam jokes "I'm starting to get that" Jake nods "Yeah" Sam nods back "By the way, I appreciate what you're doing here" Jake says "What am I doing?" Sam asks "Keeping calm. Keeping them calm. Especially considering how freaked to hell you really are. I've been in some deep crap before myself. I know the look" Jake explains.

"You wanna know the truth? I got this brother, right? And he's always telling me how he's gonna watch out for me, how everything's gonna be okay. You know, kind of like I've been telling them" Sam begins "Yeah?" Jake nods "I don't know if I believe it this time. I mean, the size of what's coming – it's bigger than anyone has ever seen. I mean, it's gonna get bad. And I don't know if—" Sam stammers to explain but Jake already gets it "If we're gonna make it? It doesn't matter if we believe it. Only matters that they do."

~~~Later~~~
Sam and Ava are in one of the houses, lining the doors and windows with salt.

"My horoscope said I shouldn't have gotten out of bed" Ava scoffs before asking "How you doing? Holding up?" "I'm okay. What about you?" Sam slightly deflects "Not so okay. Why us, Sam? What did we do to deserve this?" Ava sighs "Just lucky, I guess" Sam replies "If it wasn't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all. I just can't wait for this all to be over so I can just pretend it never happened. I just wanna curl up with Brady and watch bad TV" She says then notices SAM shift uncomfortably "What is it? Sam ... do you know something that I don't?" She asks.

"Look, Ava... I'm sorry. I wish I didn't have to tell you this" Sam starts "Tell me what?" Ava asks "When the demon broke into your house to take you...your fiancée didn't make it. I'm sorry" Sam says genuinely "No, that's...no!" Ava sobs. Sam holds her while she sobs.

Out in the hall Elizabeth sits on a barrel cross legged and chews her thumbnail 'Something doesn't sound genuine about Ava....why is she faking? Does she know something that we don't?'

~~~timeskip~~~
That night, the entire group is sitting in one room, silent. Sam is struggling to stay awake, closing his eyes every so often. While everyone else is already passed out.

Suddenly, Elizabeth wakes up groggy to see that Sam lost his battle. Then in the corner of the room she sees the yellow-eyed demon Elizabeth bolts up "Sam!" But Sam doesn't hear her "Howdy, Lexi boo, what do you say you and I take a little walk?" Elizabeth reluctantly agrees wanting the demon away from Sam and the others. The yellow eyes then leads Elizabeth outside.

Elizabeth's POV
"You're awfully quiet, Alexis. You're not mad at me, are you?" Yellow eyes taunts.

"I'm gonna kill, I swear to—" I start but yellow eyes chuckles and says "When you wake up, kitten, you give it your best shot" "What do you want from me and Sam?" I demanded "Quit worrying about, Sam. I'd worry more about yourself" "Why? You gonna kill me?" I ask sarcastically "I'm trying to help you. That's why we're talking. You're the one I'm rooting for" yellow eyes says as he wraps his arm around my shoulders making me cringe in discomfort.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask "Welcome to the Miss America pageant. Why do you think you're here? This is a competition. Only one of you crazy kids is gonna make it out of here alive" yellow eyes explains. I look at him in shock and say "I thought we were supposed to be—" I start "Soldiers in a coming war? That's true. You are. But here's the thing: I don't need soldiers. I need the soldier. I just need the one" yellow eyes explains "Why?" I ask exasperated.