Chapter 29: Demon war?

3rd POV
After explaining the situation to everyone Jake asks "So, we're soldiers in a demon war to bring on the Apocalypse?"

"When you put it like that—" Sam starts "And, and we've been picked?" Jake asks again "Yes" Sam confirms "Why us?" Jake asks "I'm not sure, okay? But look, I just know—" Sam starts but gets interrupted by Ava "Sam, I'm sorry. Psychics and spoon-bending is one thing, but demons?" Sam tries again "Look, I know it sounds crazy, but—" "It doesn't just sound it" Jake says blandly "I don't really care what you think, okay? If we're all gathered here together, then that means it's starting and that we've gotta—" Sam once more tries annoyedly but gets interrupted AGAIN.

"The only thing I've gotta do is stay away from wackjobs, okay? I've heard enough. I'm better off on my own. FYI, so are you" Jake says before turning and leaving "Jake, hold on. Jake!" Sam calls out followed by Elizabeth "Jake! Stop! We're not alone here!" Jake ignores them and continues walking until he is alone in the town. Suddenly, he sees a young blonde girl standing inside one of the buildings. She stares at him through the door, then vanishes. Jake follows her, entering the abandoned schoolroom "Hello?"

The girl can be heard giggling somewhere in the room. "It's all right. Don't be scared. Are you lost?" Jake asks but gets no response "Hello?" He calls again. Jake hears screeching coming from the chalkboard. He turns to look at it, and the words I will not kill are written over and over again on the board. The girl appears in the room, laughing. Her nails grow to form claws, and her face contorts "Get back!" Jake cries out.

Sam suddenly enters the building, grabbing an iron poker and hitting the girl with it. She dissolves into a cloud of black smoke, which exits the schoolroom. The other four join Jake and Sam "Just so you know? That was a demon" Sam says.

~~~later~~~
"Now, that thing – I'm not sure, but I think it was an Acheri. A demon that disguises itself as a little girl. That still doesn't tell us where we are. Andy, are you with me or what?" Sam says.

Andy still stunned says "Give me a minute. I'm still working through, 'Demons are real' part" Elizabeth sympathetically pats his back. The group keeps walking. In front of one of the buildings is a large, rusty bell hanging from a wooden structure "I've seen that bell before. I think I know where we are now: Cold Oak, South Dakota. A town so haunted, every single resident fled" Sam says "Swell. Good to know we're somewhere so historical" Ava says.

Elizabeth narrows her eyes at Ava and subconsciously grasps onto Sam 'Something's off about her....she's only supposed to have visions yet she's blocking me from reading her thoughts?'

"Why in the world would that demon or whatever put us here?" Lily asks "I'm wondering the same thing" Sam says "You know what? It doesn't matter. Clearly, the only sane thing to do here is get the hell out of Dodge" Lily says "Wait, hold on. Lily, the only way out is through miles of woods" Sam says "Beats hanging out with demons" Lily replies "Lily, look, we don't know what's going on yet. I mean, we don't even know how many of them are out there right now" Sam tries to persuade her and Jake agrees "Yeah, he's right. We should—"

Lily cuts him off "Don't say 'we'! I'm not part of 'we'. I have nothing in common with any of you!" Elizabeth steps forward and tries to pacify her "Okay, look, I know—" but Lily interrupts "You don't know anything!" Lily snaps then pauses and with a shaky breath says "I accidentally touched my girlfriend" the rest of them look around, stunned except for Elizabeth.

"I'm sorry" Sam says and Lily tearfully scoffs "Whatever. I feel like I'm in a nightmare, and it just keeps getting worse and worse" "I've lost people, too. I have a brother out there right now that could be dead, for all I know. We're all in bad shape. But I'm telling you, the best way out of this is to stick together" Sam sympathizes but gets nothing so Elizabeth says "I blew up my mother's boyfriend."