It's Okay to Not Be Okay

There was a bird's nest sitting in a crevice between two neighboring windows across the street. Tiny branches stuck out of the tall, sleek structure like sprouts of fluffy hair. It was unclear if the nest was protecting any eggs, but it did act as a home to a multicolored Barn Swallow. The bird settled in with a quick shake of its soft plumage before proceeding to hide from the world.

Green eyes watched in fascination as Alessandro was sitting on the floor, his back propped against the wall.

Warm rays of yellow and orange came in through multiple windows. Clouds above were a gorgeous mix of pink, purple, light gray, and orange—seeing as late afternoon had finally shifted to a beautiful golden hour.

Distant honking could be heard from unseen city streets below. If one listened close enough, they'd also be able to make out faint warbles from pigeons sitting on cable lines.

Delicate fingers traced the lines of Alessandro's palm. The gesture left behind a ticklish sensation against his somewhat damp, heated skin. Black waves dangled over his shoulder since Lance's head was resting against it.

They were both quiet.

Neither of them spoke as it felt like doing such a thing would ruin a peaceful atmosphere. Loud yells, brutal arguments, and crippling fear had finally melted away into the background. Unfortunately, echoes of the intense meeting from earlier could still be felt lingering; whispering in the walls. 

With Lance sitting so close though, remnants of a horrible encounter didn't feel as suffocating. He wasn't doing anything, but just having him there for support was more than enough in that instance.

Even with intrusive thoughts trying to force their way to the surface, screeching silence had never felt more comfortable. More necessary.

Since everyone had gone home early for the day, the rest of the building followed suit in being a noiseless establishment. Abandoned corridors made the floor feel like an undisturbed habitat—one kept away from the chaotic motions of everyday life.

Two sets of tired eyes glanced at the open glass doors when a familiar 'ding' resonated from the elevator down the hall.

Stephan walked out with a set of drinks propped up on a disposable carrying tray. One of the beverages was purple, another orange, and the last green. They all had small objects grouped together toward the bottoms of each cup. With their straws being so wide, the drinks were deduced to be some form of bubble tea.

Stephan entered the room with a simple nod in greeting. He settled on the floor next to Lance while continuing to face the window. The tray was set down in front of him.

"I stopped by the boba place a couple blocks away. Figured you guys would like something cold. I got mango, peach, and passion fruit medley for you, Lance. And I got an iced matcha green tea for you, Alessandro. I know you prefer some drinks that are a little more bitter, so I figured you'd like that."

"I do. Thanks, Steph."

Drinks were passed around and sipped from without any further attempts made at conversing. For awhile, the trio simply stared outside and watched the sky. Fingers traced random shapes into white tiling, grazes running along the dark spaces between them.

It was a much needed break from... everything else.

"What happened to her?" Alessandro asked with a quiet voice.

"Security escorted her out of the building. She and her dickhead of a boyfriend are banned from stepping foot on the premises. Cops were almost called by a few people who witnessed what happened, but I told them that it was ultimately your choice if you wanted to pursue legal action. If you do, they're all willing to give testimonies to back you up."