Chapter 3

Grandpa Su and Su Lang stayed at the hospital for a while and then left. Wang Shuxiu also packed her things and prepared to leave. She was a supervisor in a KTV. Unlike during the day, the night was the time when there were many customers and many things to do.

"I'm leaving, you can manage alone, right?"

Wang Shuxiu looked at Lu Lingxi suspiciously. She wanted to stay, but she still had to earn money to support her family. If a woman couldn't rely on her husband, she could only rely on herself.

Lu Lingxi nodded, "I can manage."

When he said this, his expression was very serious, and his little face was solemn as if he was making some kind of promise. Wang Shuxiu hadn't seen Lu Lingxi behave like this since he was three years old, so she smiled and squeezed Lu Lingxi in her arms, patted his head and kissed him on the forehead.

"Little bastard, with you looking like this I won't worry about not having food to eat in the future."

Lu Lingxi's whole face was pressed against Wang Shuxiu's chest, and his cheeks instantly turned completely red. He had never been this close to his mother for as long as he could remember, not to mention the fact that although Wang Shuxiu was the mother of this body, she was still a stranger to Lu Lingxi. He was embarrassed and tried to break away from Wang Shuxiu's embrace. Looking at him, Wang Shuxiu kissed him on the forehead several times and reprimanded him with a smile, "What are you ashamed of? Did you forget it when you were a baby and were breast-fed?"

Lu Lingxi: "......"

The male family members in the same ward looked envious. When Wang Shuxiu stood up straight and nonchalantly instructed Lu Lingxi to ask the others in the ward to help him if he wanted to drink water or go to the toilet or whatever, they were all enthusiastic.

Lu Lingxi nodded awkwardly as Wang Shuxiu gave a few more instructions and, seeing that she was going to be late for work, left the hospital in a hurry on her high heels.

Once Wang Shuxiu left, Lu Lingxi didn't know what to say to the people around him, so he closed his eyes and pretended to sleep. The ward he was in was a four-patient room, with Bed 20 at the far end near the window. Lu Lingxi lay on his side facing the windowsill, and the words Su Lang had said earlier flashed in his mind.

His parents were very sad when he died. That was enough, Lu Lingxi thought. His operation had failed, but his brother's operation to replace his kidney had been successful. He had used his own life to exchange for his brother's, so he had repaid his parents' kindness. As long as his brother's health got better, it wouldn't be long before his parents would gradually forget about his existence. In the future, he would have nothing more to do with the Lu family in Zhongjing.

He was now Lu Lingxi; Lu Lingxi, the son of Wang Shuxiu of Fengcheng. Although he did not know why he had entered this body, since he had become Lu Lingxi, he should take up the responsibilities that belonged to him. When he thought of Wang Shuxiu, what Lu Lingxi was most impressed with was the words "little bastard" and the closeness he felt when Wang Shuxiu kissed him at the end, the closeness he had never felt with his mother.

"I'm your mom, remember?" Wang Shuxiu's words to him echoed vaguely in his ears.

Lu Lingxi hugged the pillow and called out soundlessly, "Mom."

It was hard for him to describe how he felt about Wang Shuxiu. The other party acted completely different from his mother, without the dignity and elegance that his mother should have in his impression, yet he subconsciously wanted to be close to her.

Mom...

As it was in the hospital, everyone rested very early. The summer weather was sultry, and the family members who were taking care of the other patients in the same ward all haphazardly spread out a few newspapers and slept on the floor. Lu Lingxi, whose bed was shaking with a cacophony of various snores, tossed and turned, unable to sleep. Now he missed the days when he was in a coma. After staying up until 12 o'clock, Lu Lingxi couldn't sleep and sat up with difficulty, holding the edge of the bed.