Chapter 4

Lu Lingxi lay on the hospital bed for a few more days, and after various tedious examinations, he was finally able to get out of bed freely. The doctor repeatedly said that he was a miracle, recovering so well from such a serious injury, it was unbelievable. Wang Shuxiu was the happiest with the doctor's praise, changing from her usual acrimony to clutching the doctor's hand and thanking him incessantly, making the not-yet-married doctor blush in embarrassment.

After a few days of lack of sleep, taking care of Lu Lingxi and working the night shift, Wang Shuxiu looked a little haggard. However, this haggardness did not detract from her beauty at all but added a touch of pitifulness to it. As Lu Lingxi's health improved, Wang Shuxiu began to tell him about the past in the hope that Lu Lingxi would remember something.

Today she was telling him about Lu Lingxi's junior middle school life. According to Wang Shuxiu, Lu Lingxi had never liked studying since he was a child, and while he had been able to get a pass in primary school, he could barely keep up in junior middle school. He either skipped classes or got into fights every day, and dropped out of senior middle school in the second half of his junior year, never going back to school after that.

"Do you still remember the time you got into a fight with a classmate in junior middle school and were grabbed by the teacher?"

Lu Lingxi shook his head and lowered his eyes; he didn't dare to meet Wang Shuxiu's eyes whenever she mentioned something from the past. His eyelashes were very long and when he lowered them slightly like this, the long eyelashes seemed to cast small shadows under his eyes, fluttering lightly, almost as if scratching one's heart.

"Forget it, forget it if you can't remember."

Wang Shuxiu took one look at Lu Lingxi's expression and immediately skipped the topic. She didn't have to make Lu Lingxi recover his memory either, she even felt that Lu Lingxi was better off like this now. If it wasn't for the doctors saying every day that restoring his memory would be helpful to Lu Lingxi's recovery, she wouldn't bother talking about it.

"Are you hungry?"

Wang Shuxiu's attention quickly shifted to another thing she had been passionate about recently, namely fattening up Lu Lingxi. She had always known that her son was good looking, after all, she had given birth to him. As long as he looked like her, he couldn't be too bad, not to mention the fact that Lu Lingxi had picked up exactly the best she and the bastard of his father had to offer. It was just that in the past, Lu Lingxi was too rebellious and liked gothic and heavy metal styles, something she didn't understand at all, and painted his face in such a way that his real features couldn't be seen. She couldn't remember how long it had been since she had seen Lu Lingxi's clean face. After the incident, Lu Lingxi's personality changed drastically and he never painted his face like a ghost again. Wang Shuxiu looked at Lu Lingxi's white face and the more she looked at it, the more she liked it. The only bad thing was that it was a bit too thin. Boys, especially adolescent boys, should be stronger.

"Come on, have a chicken leg."

Lu Lingxi felt helpless. He had just had his lunch not long ago and really couldn't eat. But before he could say no, Wang Shuxiu thought she had guessed what he was thinking and gave him a nonchalant squeeze on the face, "What? Didn't wash your hands before eating? Little bastard, don't make a fuss."

Wang Shuxiu felt that washing one's hands before eating was a hassle, it wasn't as if the little bastard had gone out to work and gotten dirty. He hadn't even gotten out of bed all day, to need to wash his hands. But although she thought so, she couldn't resist Lu Lingxi's insistence, so she was forced to adapt to Lu Lingxi's habits. Wang Shuxiu put the shoes on Lu Lingxi's feet and looked like she was going to help him wash his hands.