Chapter 15

Tiny Garden usually opened at nine o'clock; Lu Lingxi came over early today, so he opened early.

After rolling up the roller shutter door and moving a few potted plants that needed sunlight to the door, Lu Lingxi simply tidied up the shop and debated how to tell Wang Shuxiu about his wish to adopt Dahei. Did Wang Shuxiu like dogs? Would she be willing to keep a dog at home? Dahei could live in the backyard, but would the neighbours agree?

Lu Lingxi hesitated for a while and tentatively sent a text message to Wang Shuxiu, "Mom, I want to get a dog."

Wang Shuxiu, who was doing a facial mask, picked up her phone and glanced at it, remembering that Lu Lingxi had mentioned that there was a pet shop opposite Tiny Garden. In Wang Shuxiu's eyes, the dogs in the pet shop were all small pet dogs like Pekingese, Toy Poodles and Pugs. Having one at home didn't take up much space, so she simply replied at once. "As long as you like it."

Lu Lingxi looked at Wang Shuxiu's reply with surprise and pushed open the shop door to run across the road to Dong Zhi.

"Brother Dong, my mom has agreed for me to adopt Dahei."

Only when he finished did he realise that there was someone else in Dong Zhi's shop, the very same man who had brought Dahei over yesterday and seemed to be called Yan Yue.

Yan Yue was squatting in front of the cage containing Dahei and looking at him. Perhaps recognizing him as his benefactor, Dahei did not bark, but he still looked at the man with a little bit of caution in his eyes. When Yan Yue heard the young man's voice, he turned around silently, not expecting to be faced with Lu Lingxi's smile.

Unlike the light smile he had seen yesterday, now the teenager's eyes were bright and shining, the corners of his mouth were turned up, his expression was animated, and the joy on his face was undisguised. Yan Yue's heart stirred, and his irritable mood of the morning seemed to be soothed by the boy's smile, his tightly wound nerves unconsciously relaxing.

Lu Lingxi gave Yan Yue a slightly awkward glance and bypassed him to walk up to Dong Zhi. "Brother Dong, my mom has agreed for me to adopt Dahei. When he is ready, I will take him home."

Dong Zhi was also happy to hear this, "I just saw that Dahei is recovering well, there will be no problem in two more days."

Perhaps because he knew his status as a stray dog, Dahey's desire to survive and his ability to recover were both amazing. Normal pets would be brought to the vet when they were injured, but stray cats and dogs didn't have a place for them to nurse their injuries. It was hard to survive out there, and the slower they recover, the greater the danger, so stray cats and dogs recovered faster than domestic pets from the same injury.

Lu Lingxi smiled and squatted down in front of Dahei's cage, reached out and stroked Dahei's head, saying softly, "Dahei, you have to get better quickly, I'll take you home."

As if he understood Lu Lingxi's words, Dahei whimpered in a low voice and took the initiative to rub against Lu Lingxi's palm.

Lu Lingxi's eyes curved and he smiled happily.

Yan Yue stood by Lu Lingxi's side, looking at his smiling face up close, and a strong longing suddenly arose in his heart. This longing was like a tidal wave sweeping through Yan Yue's body, and his original thought of just looking at the boy from afar was heavily crushed, replaced by a desire to be closer to the boy, to be much closer to him.

The moment this thought popped up, Yan Yue heard his own voice, "Are you planning to adopt this dog?"

Lu Lingxi froze, turned his head to look up at the man and nodded.