Chapter 21

"Xiao Xi."

"En?"

Dong Zhi wasn't actually sure if the rumour was related to Lu Lingxi, but several key points in the rumour matched up with Lu Lingxi. The gardening shop, the son named Lingxi, and most crucially, Yan Yue's appearance reminded Dong Zhi of the car that was rumoured to have hit the man. He hesitantly told Lu Lingxi about it, the middle-aged man who suddenly tried to commit suicide in the middle of a downtown, the wife who was separated from him because of gambling, the son who worked in the gardening shop. The man was finally taken to the hospital by the young owner of the car that hit him, and the car that hit him was a Jaguar. If one point could be a coincidence, Dong Zhi didn't think it was a coincidence when so many points matched up.

After Dong Zhi finished speaking, Lu Lingxi was stunned. After listening to it, he felt that there seemed to be something wrong. The middle-aged man in the rumour was too much like Lu Yishui. The owner of the car was suspected to be Yan Yue. But if it was Yan Yue, why didn't he say anything just now? When linking it to Lu Yishui's sudden promise of divorce yesterday, Lu Lingxi's heart was a little unsettled and he thought of giving Wang Shuxiu a call to ask.

"Brother Dong, thank you, I'll go back first."

Lu Lingxi hurriedly said goodbye. As soon as he left, Dahei, who had been lazily lying there, immediately stood up and followed him closely.

Lu Lingxi returned to Tiny Garden and held the phone hesitantly wondering how to talk to Wang Shuxiu. He didn't believe that Lu Yishui tried to commit suicide. If Lu Yishui was truly regretful, he wouldn't have tried to make Wang Shuxiu sell the house to cover his debts before he would divorce her. But Brother Dong's description was too much like Lu Yishui, especially taking into account the car owner's question about being "Lingxi's father". Who else in the neighbourhood worked in a gardening shop and was called Lingxi?

He was hesitating when Wang Shuxiu's phone call came.

"The old bastard didn't come looking for you, did he?" Wang Shuxiu asked aggressively.

Even though this was not the first time he had heard this, Lu Lingxi still had to take a few seconds to digest the words "old bastard". "No, what's wrong?"

"The old bastard got the money from somewhere to pay off all the gambling debts he owed." Wang Shuxiu had just heard this news from Brother Feng and the first thing she suspected was that Lu Yishui had gone behind her back to find Lu Lingxi to mortgage the house.

Lu Lingxi instantly thought of the rumour and asked softly, "Is it a lot of money?"

Since Lu Yishui had not gone to Lu Lingxi, Wang Shuxiu did not care anymore and casually said, "Four hundred thousand, I think. Even if he gets rich, it has nothing to do with us, we don't care about his money. I wondered why that bastard was so quick to divorce me yesterday. So he was afraid that we might covet his money since he got rich."

Wang Shuxiu simply hung up the phone after she finished speaking, but Lu Lingxi felt even more uneasy with this news. If the man Brother Dong described was really Lu Yishui, and the owner of the car was really Yan Yue, then it would be self-evident where the money for paying off Lu Yishui's gambling debts came from. This possibility made Lu Lingxi unable to sit still. He quickly found Yan Yue's number in his phone and called it.

When the phone rang, Yan Yue was not far from Tiny Garden, waiting for Lu Lingxi to leave work. He had never thought that after living for 27 years he would one day realise that he had the potential to turn into a pervert. For almost a week, he wandered around the street every day, sneaking up to look at the teenager. He waited for Lu Lingxi to leave work, then stealthily followed behind him, escorting him home.