THREE

Word Count: 1848

~Tove

My blood goes ice cold.

"He wants to kill me, doesn't he?"

I have no idea what I've done to deserve it. All I really do is go to and from my work, and sometimes go out with Mary.

Not that anyone deserves it, but why am I the target of a murderer?

"We can't be sure. He acted completely out of character tonight by going on a date with you," Ellard explains.

Out of character? What is in his character?

"He hasn't been in contact with anyone we have been able to trace in a very long time," Arkyn says, adjusting his jacket.

"Why is he dangerous?" It's not going to help me fall asleep tonight, but I want to hear examples of everything that he has done in the past to bring him to the attention of Noble's.

"His powers exceed ours, as Noble's." Ellard gestures between himself and Arkyn.

My eyes widen. I've grown up in this Territory hearing that Noble's are peak of power in the whole land. That they choose to rule here, over us, instead of elsewhere.

Now, to hear that there is someone above them? Someone who is not governed by law or policy?

What a disturbing thought...

"But I thought the Noble's were the most powerful people in the world?" Mary says from where she stands in the corner, watching this go down.

"This is a rare case," Ellard tells her grimly.

Arkyn sighs. "Tell us what he said to you on your date."

"He didn't say much. He refused to tell me anything about him." When I think back on what happened only less than an hour ago, not much was really exchanged between us.

Every time I tried to dig more into his past, he ushered me away from it, revealing nothing about himself. I thought he was just strange at the time, maybe guarded even.

I wouldn't have thought it was because any information about him would have turned me onto who he truly is.

And to think, I wanted him in my bed that night...

"Did he tell you anything that may help us?" Ellard pushes. I'm not sure what would help them, since he seemed so interested in me, and not how I would see him.

"He's from Territory Eleven? He's a murderer...I mean, that's all he said to me," I stutter. I'm grateful that I don't know anything else.

I don't want to know what kind of monster dwells beneath that cold, beautiful exterior.

"How long was your date?"

"Half an hour maybe." Time seemed to have slowed down around him, as if everything in existence turned its attention to him, forgetting it must continue in its own vain.

Arkyn looks sceptical, staring at me with that cold, blue gaze. "And that's all you spoke about?"

"Well, no. He was asking me about myself, about my studying, about my powers," I recall. I wonder if it makes the kill more satisfying when he learns more about his victim.

Ellard flinches. "Powers?"

"I have mere scraps of it compared to you all. He made it seem like I should continue working to get my powers better, but I told him they are stuck as they are," I tell them.

I've tried my entire life to connect to my powers, to make them stronger. It's no use, I've reached the edge of my training, and I've accepted that. I'm happy being normal, for the most part.