SEVENTEEN

Word Count: 2304

~Tove

This isn't good.

I stare at the ceiling, employing as many ways of distracting myself as possible.

I've tried pacing, although that failed to tire me out. Reading was thwarted by my aching eyes from spending all day doing it, and writing down my concerns proved to be impossible considering my lack of paper and a pen...

And the thought of Keo ever uncovering my wretched thoughts.

Groaning, I toss the covers off my legs and lurch back up to standing.

The wood floor is cold underfoot as I stride to the balcony door, pushing it open. The sheer curtains brush against my skin as I step out, letting the sharp sea-scented breeze sweep my hair back off my shoulders.

I'm thinking about Keo.

Being near him is intoxicating. But it's more than that...

I know who he is, what he has done. And yet I find him deeply fascinating, and considering I'm one of the few Angel-bloods he isn't willing to kill right now, my urge to uncover more about him is burning with untamed fire.

His parting words to me this afternoon are what chase away my sleep...

In his strange, roundabout way, he's invited me to his bedroom. Whether it's to embarrass me or to seduce me, I don't know.

But I really want to find out.

Gritting my teeth, I twist around, charging back into the room, throwing a shawl over my shoulders before slipping from my room.

I only know where Keo's room is because it's been locked and when I inquired why, he told me I only need to worry about it on night's where...

I don't even want to acknowledge that memory.

Because tonight may be one of those nights.

I'm not sure why but his ominous wooden door looks more ominous tonight as I knock on it promptly.

Part of me doesn't expect him to answer. Maybe he doesn't sleep...maybe he vanishes in the night, going to do devious things to innocent people.

The door opens, a shirtless Keo appearing in the doorway.

My throat dries.

I can hardly even fathom how beautiful he is. His messy dark hair, tired eyes and that dark smile that touches his lips at the sight of me.

I won't even allow myself to look for more than a fleeting second at his tattooed arms and muscled abdomen.

"Well. Isn't this a surprise," he murmurs, clearly amused.

"Don't look so smug," I grumble.

"Why exactly have you come to my room, Tove?" His voice is like melted honey, so smooth and silken it sends excited chills across my skin.

I swallow tightly. Why am I here? Which thought motivated me out of my bedroom tonight?

"I don't like that you don't like me," I choose to say.

He raises a brow. "Why does my opinion of you matter?"

"You hate me because of who I am. That isn't fair," I exclaim. If it's my character he dislikes, fine, but hating me when he hardly knows me? I can't accept that...

Keo makes a note to dramatically slump against the doorframe, sighing.

"So you haven't come here because you want to fuck?"