SIXTEEN

Word Count: 1599

~Tove

A couple of days have passed and Keo has bothered me once about training.

It's gotten on my nerves for multiple reasons.

Firstly, Mary is awaiting a cure, and the sooner I get it to her by completing Keo's task, the less she has to suffer.

And secondly...well, I'm bored.

Keo doesn't show at breakfast, so, once afternoon rolls around, I amble down to where I know he will be working on whatever business a Demon must attend to.

Sure enough, he's leaning over his desk, one hand delved into his dark hair, the other scribbling something I would assume is important onto the paper in front of him.

"So, what are we doing today?" I ask, leaning against the doorframe.

He doesn't look up.

"I'm working."

I sigh irritably, expecting this response. "I thought we could do some more training."

"That won't be happening." He starts to drum his fingers on the surface of his desk, conveying his unspoken irritation at my unannounced presence.

"Why not?"

He looks up through dark, thick lashes. "You need to rest."

I roll my eyes. He has been awfully cold to me since the incident. I had fallen asleep on his lap in front of the fire, and when I woke a few hours later, he was carrying me to bed.

Obviously he had allowed me a decent amount of time cuddled up against him before he decided to take me upstairs.

The gesture warms my heart, even if the feeling is edged with the dark reminder of danger.

Keo is not someone I can get close to.

"I'm feeling much better today," I assure him. In fact, I awoke this morning forgotten I had even used my magic to such an extent.

Being able to recover from using that much magic so quickly is more incredible to me than the magic I actually used.

"It's not worth the risk," he mutters, rubbing his forehead.

"What risk?" Does he think I'm going to die or something? Does he think his prized possession is going to become useless?

"Why don't you just relax. You don't want to push your powers beyond what you can handle, and then bring that self doubt back. It's about knowing when to push and when to pull back. Okay?"

I stare at him as he shifts his attention back to his work.

He's right, I shouldn't push it. I've spent so much of my life not believing I'm capable of harnessing as much magic as I did yesterday, and now that I have, I don't want to go back.

"How many people have you trained to do your bidding?" I question. He seems so used to this.

The edge of his lips quirk up a little. "Far too many."

I frown, wondering what those poor souls were used for. They aren't in his life anymore, which isn't a good sign.

Sitting on the edge of his desk, I ignore his irritated sigh.

"I want you to tell me about that book I found. About Demon history," I say. If I'm going to spend so much time near this man, I would like to learn more about his history.

He narrows his eyes warily. "Why?"

"It interests me. Come on..." I insist.

Keo settles back into his seat, considering whether to oblige me.